Meal Plan Monday - January 30



The grocery shopping bill for this week turned out to be quite high. I spent a total of $97.02 for this week. Part of the reason for the high cost was the 80 oz. jug of honey that I bought at Walmart. It costs almost $15, but it is much cheaper to buy in bulk this way than buying it in smaller amounts.





In this week's menu I've added a "how I make it" section under some of the recipes. Since I'm always substituting ingredients to make meals less expensive and more heart healthy, I very rarely make a recipe exactly how it's written. In the "how I make it" section, I share some of the ways I change the recipes to fit our budget and lifestyle.

Our menu this week will feature turkey. I cooked the extra turkey that I bought at Thanksgiving and made turkey broth to use in this week's meals.

Here's our menu for this week:


Breakfast

Cereal
Breakfast sandwiches, oranges
Homemade Instant Oatmeal with frozen blueberries and raisins
Whole Wheat Banana Nut Muffins, oranges
     -How I make it: substitute butter with unsweetened applesauce and use 1/4 cup of honey instead of maple syrup. I usually leave the nuts out, but I will use some of the nuts that we got as a Christmas gift last month.


Dinner

Turkey Bisque Soup made with homemade turkey broth, Yogurt Biscuits
     -How I make it: substitute half and half with 1% milk

Leftover Turkey Pot Pie (1/2 recipe)
     -How I make it: leave out the celery and use just half an onion

Turkey Tetrazzini (1/2 recipe), peas, leftover Yogurt Biscuits
     -How I make it: substitute red peppers with green, substitute half of the milk with homemade turkey broth, make my own bread crumbs from bread end slices, use just half an onion and add garlic powder for flavor

Leftover Turkey and Swiss Grilled Sandwich, carrot and cucumber sticks
     -How I make it: I don't use jam and substitute Dijon mustard with yellow mustard

Vegetable Barley Soup, cornbread muffins
     -How I make it: substitute vegetable broth with unsalted chicken broth

Breakfast for dinner: Meatless Hash with scrambled eggs, apple slices

Turkey and cheese wraps with tomato, cucumber and black olives



Get other meal plan ideas at Menu Plan Monday.

2 comments :

Jenn in Indiana said...

I have been amazed at your grocery pics. Hardly no convenience items, junk food or other crappity-crap. Good job! What do your boys snack on? Sounds like a great menu plan! Have a great week.

Vanessa said...

After my husband's heart attack, we learned a lot about processed foods and tried to take as much of that out of our diet as we could. We occasionally enjoy some of those foods on special occasions, but for the most part I try to make as much as I can from scratch.

The boys like to have a snack after school and they can choose a yogurt cup (once a week), applesauce, fruit, trail mix (raisins and chocolate chips), and crackers. If I've baked during the week, then they can choose a muffin or cookie. Popcorn popped on the stove is a good frugal snack, but it's not one of the boys' favorites, so I don't make it very often.