Meal Plan Monday - January 2




Happy New Year! When activities and work took over our schedule this past fall, some things I wasn't able to fit into my week, including meal planning. What better time to start again than a new year?

Since I started working outside of the home, we have been able to increase our grocery budget. I felt really guilty about this at first, but with the rising price of food, two growing boys and the need to buy more expensive low sodium or sodium free foods, I stopped feeling guilty and have even splurged once in a while!





This week I spent:

Walmart    $14.88
Hannaford $69.38
Total: $84.26

I was very happy to see boneless, skinless chicken on sale for $1.69/lb. this week, since it has been a couple of weeks since I have seen a sale. Apples, cantaloupe, grapes and red potatoes were also on sale. I bought extra unsalted chicken stock since it was on sale and I had coupons.

I buy Nature Valley granola bars because my husband likes to take a granola bar in his lunch every day and this brand has a few varieties with the least amount of saturated fat and sodium, but they aren't cheap! I was able to price-match at Walmart and use a coupon to get them for $2 each. Chex cereal was also on sale and I used a coupon and paid $2 each.

My meal plan for this week is below. You will notice that some of the ingredients aren't in my grocery shopping picture because I already had them on hand.

Breakfast

Cold cereal w/oranges leftover from last week, cantaloupe and/or bananas
Homemade granola
Bagels
Homemade instant oatmeal w/blueberries from the freezer
Eggs

*One of our Christmas gifts this year included baking supplies and lots of nuts that I will use to make granola. My father-in-law and his wife give this to us every year for Christmas, and since nuts are so expensive and something that I don't buy very often, this is one of my favorite gifts!

Lunch

The boys: school lunch or home lunch: sandwich, grapes and trail mix and/or goldfish
Me: leftovers or snack-type lunch: crackers with peanut butter or cottage cheese, fruit, carrot sticks
Hubby: My husband takes the same thing to work every. single. day. - sandwich, granola bar, crackers, carrot sticks, fruit and yogurt


Dinner

Chicken Caesar Wraps, carrot sticks
Tuna Noodle Casserole, salad
"Best Ever" Chicken Nuggets, mashed potato, peas
Chicken Corn Chowder, cornbread muffins
Chicken Noodle Soup, leftover cornbread muffins



Get other meal plan ideas at Menu Plan Monday.

2 comments :

Jenn in Indiana said...

I am so excited to see that you are posting your meal plan again! For the first three months of 2017 our grocery budget will be $200 per month so meal planning will be essential. I think I am going to try the one pot chicken lo mein. It looks great. And I love the gift of baking supplies and nuts, especially since you don't have to dust them! My best grocery deal this past week was finding Chex cereal for 50 cents per box. They were in the clearance section for a dollar per box and then I used a coupon on top of that. The boxes were dented but that is all that was wrong with them. My kids didn't seem to mind!

Vanessa said...

Wow, $.50 for cereal is an amazing deal! I love it when I find unexpected deals like that. To make the chicken lo mein recipe more frugal, I make it with carrots and green peppers (red peppers are expensive here) and I use 3 cups of broth and 1 cup of water. Be sure to watch it very carefully and stir often - I usually have to add liquid to it. I hope your family enjoys it!