How I Saved Last Week



The boys started 2nd and 5th grade last week! The summer has flown by and we are starting to see signs of fall.

At the end of every school year, I save all the markers that are still in very good condition. The boys didn't use them at all this summer, so instead of buying a new set of markers for our younger son this year, he took a whole set of used markers that were like new. (I also save the old crayons to make crayons for Operation Christmas Child.)

I signed up as a substitute teacher in our local school district again this year and I was surprised to get a call on the second day of school! We are very thankful for the extra income that this job provides for about 9 months of the year.

I paid just $6 for a new backpack at Rite Aid.



Dollar General had an extra 50% off sale this weekend and I found great deals for Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes! Jump ropes, jewelry kits and stickers were $.30 each, baseballs were $.75, water bottles were $.37 and the paddle ball games were $.75 on clearance. I also found the BIC pens on clearance for $.50 each and I used a $1.00 off 2 BIC coupon to get them for free!

Our older son used avery.com's free Design and Print Online software to make thank you cards to send to family who sent birthday gifts in the mail.

I was so excited when my husband discovered the blackberry bushes in our backyard a few weeks ago! I picked more blackberries from the backyard this week and I'm clearing a sunny spot to transplant them to this fall. If they transplant well, we will purchase posts and wire in the spring to give the canes support and keep them off the ground. 

We picked 16 tomatoes, 11 cucumbers, 3 zucchini, beets, carrots and many cherry tomatoes. The growing season is winding down and soon it will be time to clean out the garden.

I made salsa with some of the tomatoes from our garden.


How did you save this week?

0 comments :