How I Saved This Week - August 6




This week I picked 4 zucchini, 10 cucumbers, 11 pounds of green beans and some cherry tomatoes from the garden. I froze some of the green beans and I used most of the cucumbers to make Refrigerator Pickles.

In order to use up some of the zucchini, I tried a new zucchini cake recipe and it turned out to be a new favorite recipe! This Blueberry Zucchini Cake is amazing. I used less sugar and less oil for the cake and used this Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting instead of the buttercream frosting. It was perfect - not too sweet and very moist.

I made blueberry freezer jam with some of the blueberries that we picked last week.

I used very ripe bananas to make Whole Wheat Blueberry pancakes. The recipe makes quite a few pancakes so I froze the leftovers. I was glad I had leftovers since the boys requested them for breakfast the next morning!

Boneless, skinless chicken was on sale for $1.55 during a one day sale. I bought about 7 pounds and put it in the freezer.



I found two more great deals for Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes! Flip flops were on clearance for $.50 at Family Dollar and the mini Sparkle Girlz Dolls were on clearance at Walmart for $1.

I applied for a fitness reimbursement from our health insurance company. I found this reimbursement by accident 4 years ago while I was looking for information about our insurance coverage. My husband has a membership to a local gym, and the reimbursement covers over half the cost. Over the last 4 years, this reimbursement has saved us $600.

Both of our boys desperately needed new jeans for school this year. I checked the local thrift stores through the spring and summer and wasn't able to find anything in their sizes. I ordered a few pairs this week from crazy8.com during their back-to-school sale. The jeans were $8.88 with free shipping on any order.  I ordered from this company a few years ago when they offered the same deal and I thought the quality for the price was very good.



How did you save this week?


2 comments :

Jenn in Indiana said...

Wow, I can't believe all the beans you are getting! I am lucky if I get a handful a day. Sounds like you had a productive week. I will have to try the blueberry desert. Looks great! Have a great week!

Vanessa said...

I've been happy to get a lot of beans this year, but it has been a bit overwhelming; the whole family has been recruited to snap them. :) Have a great week!