How I Saved Last Week

We picked 3 zucchini, 5 pounds of green beans, 34 cucumbers, 9 tomatoes and several cherry tomatoes. I wasn't expecting to have dozens of cucumbers ready to be picked all at once! We ate a lot of raw cucumbers, sliced them in sandwiches, made cucumber and tomato salads and gave about half of them away.



We tried a few new zucchini recipes this week and they were all delicious. I didn't realize all the things you can make with zucchini! I made Zucchini Lasagna Rolls (so,so good!), Zucchini Blueberry Muffins and Sweet Potato Breakfast Burritos, which earned rave reviews from the boys.

Food City had some great prices in their new sales flyer. I bought eggs for $.77/doz., salad dressing for $1.00 each, green peppers for $.88/lb., boneless, skinless chicken breast for $1.69/lb and cereal for $1.17. You can find some of the best sales and coupon matchups here.

Summer toys are on clearance and I bought jump ropes at Walmart for $.50 each that I will put in Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes.

It's always exciting when I'm surprised with unexpected savings. Our older son noticed a toy in the clearance aisle at Walmart that he really liked and I went back to the store to get it for him for his birthday this month. The price was marked as $9.88, but it rang up at the register as $5.00!


How did you save this week?


4 comments :

Jenn in Indiana said...

That is awesome on the toy ringing up at $5.00! Wow, 34 cucumbers! Does your family like pickles? There are so many flavors you could can. Or even fridge pickles. And if you are out of ideas for the zucchini you could can it into "pineapple". There are lots of different recipes. After you make it pineapple flavored, then you can use it on pizza, in smoothies, to make muffins and bread, etc. I love canning!

Vanessa said...

I've never canned before, but would like to learn. I've been a little nervous about trying it with the warnings that I've seen, but I know I could do a lot preserving if I learned how to can instead of just freezing. I did make refrigerator pickles a couple of weeks ago and will probably make more. I've never heard of zucchini pineapple and I looked up the recipe on Pinterest. I would love to try it sometime!

Jenn in Indiana said...

Probably you are nervous about pressure canning but so much can just be water bath canned. Tomatoes, pickles, jams, pie filling, etc. Nothing beats homemade pie filling! If you really want to do it, I would purchase a Ball Book of canning. It will cover the basics. And honestly, my family prefers our green beans to be frozen vs. canned so that's not too big of a deal for us. What I love to can the best is all of our tomatoes products. It's awesome in the winter to open it up and smell those tomatoes. For a water bath canner, you can just use something like a big stock pot or anything really that you can cover your jars with an inch of water. Every so often I will even see them at garage sales. Also canning jars. My grandparents gave me all of their canning jars, which was such a blessing. My grandfather was from a family with 12 children. He said his mom canned about 1400 quarts of food a year! She never even messed with pints, I can't even imagine! Some of the canning blogs that have some info is onehundreddollarsamonth.com and another one that is escaping me but I will think of it. There is also tons of stuff on YouTube.

Vanessa said...

I will do some research and maybe try canning next year. Canned pie filling sounds delicious and it would be much easier to can our salsa, tomato sauce and jam instead of freezing it. Thank you for the information!