How I Saved This Week - June 18



This week I couldn't resist buying cherries that were on sale for $1.99/lb. This was a treat for us since the regular price here is between $4 and $6 per lb and we are only able to enjoy them once or twice a year when they are on sale.



After searching at Walmart for a reasonably priced Father's Day card for my husband, I gave up and decided to make my own. I just can't bring myself to pay $5 or more for a card. To make the above Father's Day card, I downloaded a free printable, opened it in Open Office to change the size and printed it onto white cardstock that I purchased with a coupon last December. I also used a piece of white cardstock folded in half for the card and blue paper scraps that I have had for many years. The card cost less than $1 to make and I think a handmade card is also much more personal and appreciated.

I had a little extra space at the end of one of my garden rows and decided to try growing beets. I think I'm a little late getting them started since they like cool weather, but they have a short growing time so I'm anxious to find out if we'll have beets in a few months. I also planted the cantaloupe seedlings and watermelon seedlings that I started inside. We used water from our homemade rain barrel to water the garden, but it hasn't been enough to keep up with the watering so we've also had to use the hose to water the garden.

While shopping at Walmart this week, I found little sticker books with stickers on clearance for just $.50 each. They are the perfect size for Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes. You can see the picture I shared on the Facebook page.

This week on the blog, I shared how I save on one of my favorite products.

I reused a freezer bag and saved a jar that I will use for homemade salsa. I freeze salsa in freezer bags that I lay flat in order to save space in the freezer, but after I thaw a bag of salsa, I like to put it in these jars to keep in the refrigerator.


How did you save this week?


2 comments :

Jenn in Indiana said...

Those cherries look wonderful. That is a great price. I have wanted to get a cherry tree. We live in the country, I am sure the birds would get most of them before us. Or the deer! Not sure if you live in the country or town but I don't think they grow that big so if you were on a city lot it would probably be ok. The birds also tend to devour our raspberries! Have a great week!

Vanessa said...

I have been wanting a cherry tree too! I've read about dwarf cherry trees and even cherries that grow on bushes that I would like to try. I think they can be covered with netting to keep the birds from eating the fruit. They aren't sweet cherries, though, but would be good for baking and making jams. Sadly, I don't think there are many sweet cherries that will grow in my zone (4b).