How I Saved Last Week - April 2




It has been a few weeks since I have shared a Saturday savings post. The last few weekends have been busy as we are looking into a large home improvement project and preparing to have my family over for Easter dinner.

Here's a few ways we were able to save the last few weeks:

We have enjoyed a few days of unusually warm weather. One morning this week I was really surprised by how warm the house felt (we always turn the thermostat down to 62 before going to bed), and when I checked the thermostat, it was 67 degrees at 5:30 in the morning! I'm very excited about the warmer temperatures and also the savings on our heating costs.

I bought a ham for $.66/lb. for our Easter dinner and made corn chowder and Broccoli and Ham Pasta Bake with the leftovers. I also put the ham bone in the freezer to make pea soup.

I haven't seen many deals for Operation Christmas Child boxes so far this year, so I was very excited to find a couple of packages of 12 pk. Easter themed pencils on sale at Walmart for $.24 each. They were mixed in with the Easter sale items, but I didn't see a tag and was thrilled when they rang up at such a low price.

The bread store had packages of bagels on sale for $.75 each. I also bought bread for $1.03 per loaf and the boys and I each got a free donut.

I always look for pajamas at the end-of-season sales because I'm usually not able to find them in good condition (or at all) at the thrift stores. I did find a winter pajama set that will fit our younger son for just $3.

I started a crochet baby gift using a free pattern.

A free April devotional book from In Touch Ministries was in the mail.

We enjoyed a family movie night and watched Woodlawn together. It was an Easter gift to the boys from my sister. We all enjoyed it and would highly recommend it!

I used online bill pay to schedule payment for some upcoming bills and also payed extra towards the principle on our mortgage payment for this month.


How did you save this week?

2 comments :

Jenn in Indiana said...

Vanessa, it looks like you had a great week! That's great you were able to pay to principle again! And would love to hear about the home renovation project under way! Sounds exciting. We were also having warmer weather here in Indiana and then yesterday it got very windy, cold and snowy. Lost power for about 10 hours. Woke up to a dusting this morning! We would love to buy a second home in New England state sometime but now I think I need to go south, the older I get this cold weather hurts my bones. Have a great week!

Vanessa said...

I often say that the older I get, the more I don't like the cold. When I was a kid I would stay outside until my toes were numb, but now I am always rushing inside out of the cold. I wouldn't mind skipping winter and I would love a longer growing season, but wouldn't want to miss spring, summer and especially fall in New England. :)