Earn Extra Income as a Substitute Teacher




If your children are in school full time, substitute teaching is a great opportunity for stay-at-home parents to earn extra income. I started substitute teaching almost a year ago and have found it to be both challenging and rewarding.  As with any job, there are positive and negatives that you should consider before applying.


  • As a stay-at-home mom, one of the biggest benefits of substitute teaching is that I have the same schedule as my children and there is no need for a sitter. My work day is done at the same time as my children. If my children have a school vacation, holiday or snow day, I also have those days off.


  • Substitute teaching is very flexible. If one of my children is sick or I have an appointment, I can decline to work that day. In my school district, a substitute can also stipulate which days they can work and/or what grade level or school they want to work in.


  • One of the reasons I love substitute teaching is that there is a variety of work and no two days are exactly the same. One day I could work in the middle school; the next day I might be in the elementary school. I have worked in special education, resource rooms, main stream classes and with students with disabilities. The variety of work ensures that I am never bored!


There are also a couple of negatives about substitute teaching that you may want to consider before applying.


  • Substitute teachers aren't eligible to receive holiday, vacation or sick pay and, of course, there isn't any work available during summer break. 

  • Income earned as a substitute teacher varies from week to week.

If you are interested in substitute teaching, contact the Superintendent's Office or look on the school district's website for an application and more information. State laws may vary, but in the state that I live in, every substitute teacher is required to have an Ed. Tech. Certification. Submitting an application to the state for certification and a national background check is required. You can get more information about the requirements in your state by contacting the Superintendent's Office or going to the Department of Education website for your state.

2 comments :

Jenn in Indiana said...

I also have started subbing, probably 5 months ago. I do love it and for the most part have had a very positive experience with it. The only problem I have is working again after 15 years at home. It is very overwhelming to get it all done at home, like I am used to. But I find I am slowly adjusting.

Vanessa said...

That's great and I can completely relate!