This recipe was one of my husband's favorite meals when he was growing up. Not too long after we were married, my mother-in-law shared the recipe with me and I have been making this meal ever since!
Our whole family loves this meal. I think the boys like the fact that they can have chips with their dinner, but I like it because it is so quick and easy!
Chicken Taco & Rice Skillet
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
2 tbs. canola oil
1 can low sodium chicken broth
1 8 oz. can no salt added tomato sauce
1 pkg. low sodium taco seasoning or
3 - 4 tbs. homemade taco seasoning
1 can no salt added corn, drained
1 green pepper, chopped
1 1/2 c. instant white or brown rice
tortilla chips (we recommend lime Tostitos)
optional toppings: cheese, black olives, sour cream, salsa
1. In a skillet, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink.
2. Add peppers, broth, tomato sauce and seasoning mix. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 5 minutes.
3. Add corn and bring to a boil. Stir in rice and remove from heat.
4. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
5. Serve with crushed tortilla chips and toppings of your choice.
Note: If using instant brown rice, add rice and let simmer, covered for 5 minutes before removing from heat.