How I Saved This Week - January 2




Happy New Year!

It was so nice to have a week off from school this week! I spent some time reading and working on hobbies that I enjoy, but I also started decluttering our home. I have a box of toys and DVDs that my children have outgrown and a few other things ready to go to Goodwill.

It always feels good to get rid of things that we don't use.  If you would like to get rid of clutter in your home and are feeling overwhelmed, start with just 10 things. This week try to find 10 things that you no longer need or want. Once you get started, it's hard to stop! I shared this article on Facebook about clutter that I found very thought provoking and has forced me to think about what I am buying and whether or not I really need it (even when I tell myself I do).



I downloaded a free wallpaper for my computer that I really love!  The wallpaper came from crosscards.com and you can find all of their January calendar wallpapers here. They also have free ecards and facebook covers.

I signed up to use the free version of EveryDollar and I am very excited about using this program this year! It is a budgeting program that allows users to set up a budget by categories and input transactions into each category. The transaction amounts are automatically subtracted from the category and show how much money is remaining. The program was created for the zero-based budget, where every dollar that a person spends, saves and earns is budgeted and accounted for. I love the user-friendly design, and I think the program will be a huge time saver, since I won't be doing all the figuring manually.

I scheduled bills to be paid through online bill pay.

I ran out of envelopes this week, so I used the envelopes that are sent with the bills that I received in the mail (since I use online bill pay, we don't use them).  I wrote the address on a small scrap piece of paper and put it inside the envelope to cover the open "window" part of the envelope.

I found a couple of books on photography at the library that I'm hoping will help me improve my photography skills.

I made blueberry pancakes with blueberries that we picked in August for $1.25/lb. and froze. I also cooked a whole chicken (that was on sale for $.99/lb.) in the crockpot and made chicken stock with the scraps. We ate turkey and other leftovers from last week and I made Alphabet Soup.

My favorite find this week was wrapping paper for $.38 a roll!

I bought bread at the bread store for $1.03 per loaf and put bread ends in the freezer.

Today was free Saturday at the Fitness Center. The boys and I enjoyed getting out and getting some exercise this morning.

How did you save this week?

2 comments :

Jenn in Indiana said...

Sounds like your year is getting off to a great start! Yes, there is something about the new year that makes you want to clean out and get rid of clutter. My daughter, who is 11, went on a major clean of her bedroom after Christmas. She did this all on her own and now I have a carload to take to Goodwill. She is my kind of girl! Also, there is a youtube channel that I have been watching called "How Jen Does IT". She has some really great videos on organizing and homemaking type things that I have been really enjoying. She is the only person who I watch on YouTube but she has some great tips so you might enjoy checking her out. Happy New Year!

Vanessa said...

Thank you for sharing the "How Jen Does It" videos. I had a chance to watch a few of them, and I really liked her ideas. I noticed that she has a 2016 Challenge starting Monday and I'm going to join the challenge and try to stay on track!