Simply Saving Saturday - December 12




Our washing machine started leaking last week and we've had to take some laundry to the laundromat.  Let me tell you, taking laundry for a family of four to the laundromat isn't cheap! Instead of paying to dry our laundry, we brought the wet laundry home to dry.  Thankfully the repair man is coming on Monday and hopefully we won't need to pay to have our laundry washed for a long while!

I bought a package of boneless, skinless chicken breast for $3.03.  The package had three pieces of chicken in it.  I butterflied two of the pieces of chicken to make four portions for one meal and saved the other piece to make chicken corn chowder.

I found 5 lb. bags of white whole wheat flour for $.99 this week!  It was a little past the expiration, but still fine, and I was somehow able to find a little bit of space in the freezer to squeeze some in.  I am now more convinced than ever that we need to invest in a chest freezer!

Our younger son turned 7 this week. He asked for a lego cake like his brother had for his birthday, which worked out great since I had the candy melts and the molds that I used to make the lego pieces his brother's cake.



Every year I seem to be late preparing for Christmas and this year is no different! This week I used old cards, card stock and scrapbook paper and supplies that I had on hand to make Christmas cards. I am saving egg cartons that I am going to use as Christmas candy holders. I also made wooden snowflake ornaments using clothespins.  I'm hoping to share this fun project on the blog next week.

How did you save this week?


Our on-going savings:

**Freeze leftovers that I won't use right away.

**Set the thermostat to 62 degrees at night and 66 degrees during the day.

**Wash laundry in cold water.

**Use online bill pay to pay our bills.

**Earn Swag Bucks for gift cards that I use to buy gifts.

**Earn Recyclebank points for gift cards, coupons and free magazine subscriptions.

**Earn Bing Rewards points for gift cards, Hulu Plus subscription, Skype credits, etc.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Buy less cereal and eat oatmeal and other homemade breakfasts several times a week.

**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.

5 comments :

Jenn in Indiana said...

Get the freezer, you will love it! And yeah, going to the laundromat is painful. Sounds like you had a good week, although it sounds like your family has been busy. I guess it's that time of year. can't wait to see your craft post.

Vanessa said...

I think after the holidays we are definitely going to look into getting one. We were a little concerned about the cost of electricity, but I think it will pay for itself in savings!

Linda Higgins said...

Think about an upright. You can find what your looking for, put trays of berries, fruit slices, etc. on a cookie sheet for bagging.
A chest is great for just meat though. I've been pricing them for my second upright and the costs are not what you would think for operating. Check the yellow energy tags and compare those, also. Happy shopping!

Vanessa said...

Thanks for the tips, Linda! I've noticed that there are pros and cons to both an upright and a chest freezer. We're definitely going to shop around a bit and compare prices before buying.

Blogger said...

NeoBux is a very popular work from home website.