How I Saved Last Week




The Christmas celebrations are over and we are looking forward to a quiet week at home this week.  I had a very busy week last week finishing up last minute Christmas preparations and spending time with both sides of our family. It didn't turn out to be a very frugal week overall, but we did save in small ways.

I made granola and peanut butter truffles for food gifts.  I cut the egg cartons that I saved in half, put mini cupcake liners in the individual sections and put the peanut butter truffles in the liners.  I put them in small, clear gift bags and closed them with ribbons I had saved from past Christmas celebrations (see picture above).

These free labels were perfect for the food gifts that I gave this year.  I saved them to my computer and opened them into a photo editor in order to type onto the label, and then printed them.

I ironed tissue paper that I saved from last year and used it again this year.  I also reused a gift bag that was like new.

I printed these free gift tags onto the cardstock that I bought with a coupon a couple of weeks ago.  I love how simple and clean looking they are.  I was looking specifically for gift tags that didn't have background color that would use a lot of ink.

The boys colored free hand drawn gift tags that I printed out and attached to gifts for their teachers.

I made a little sweater for a baby shower gift using this free pattern.  I also gave a framed copy of this free scripture printable.  I saved it as a .jpg file on my computer and opened it in OpenOffice to change the size to fit a 5 x 7 frame.  If you're not familiar with OpenOffice, it is a free alternative to Microsoft Office that can be downloaded from their site.

I cooked a turkey that we were given in November for Christmas dinner and used some of the leftovers to make turkey pot pie.

We had some very ripe bananas that I put in the freezer.

I turned an almost-empty bottle of conditioner upside down in a cup in order to use as much as possible.

My husband used his Irving Rewards points and paid just $1.97 a gallon for gas for one of his fill-ups.

We were very happy to learn that starting in February we no longer need to have mortgage insurance for our home loan; a savings of about $32 a month.

How did you save last week?


2 comments :

Jenn in Indiana said...

I like your new format for your weekly frugal posting. How did you ever come out on your washer? I love the clothespin snowflake ornament. I think that is a craft project that I might be able to pull off without wanting to rip my hair out! Here in Indiana we are expecting an ice storm tomorrow, which means we will be at home relaxing, I can't wait!

Vanessa said...

Hi, Jenn. Thank you for your kind comments. My husband surprised me with a new camera for Christmas and I'm hoping to have more pictures on the blog as soon as I learn how to use it!

The repairman came to fix the washing machine and broke a large screw while he was trying to take it apart. He had to order the parts that he needed to fix it, so it ended up being another whole week before he was able to fix it. When it was finally fixed I was never so happy to be able to do laundry. :)

We are expecting a big snowstorm here Tuesday into Wednesday and I will be staying cozy inside as well. While I don't look forward to getting snow, I was a little sad that we didn't have any snow for Christmas this year!

Have a happy New Year!