Simply Saving Saturday - October 10




The boys and I have a four-day weekend and I'm thankful for the opportunity to cross some things off my to-do list!

My children have been asking for pancakes for breakfast, and I finally had a chance to make them this weekend.  I made a double batch of blueberry pancakes with blueberries that we picked for $1.25/lb. and froze in August.  I flash froze the leftover pancakes, and when the boys feel like pancakes for breakfast, I can take a few out and warm them up in the toaster for a quick, healthy breakfast on busy mornings.

This week we tried Mustard Glazed Chicken. By making a few changes to the recipe, it turned out to be a fairly inexpensive meal.  I substituted some of the ingredients for less expensive options that I already had on hand and I used one large boneless, skinless chicken breast to feed my whole family by butterflying the chicken breast and cutting both pieces into two more pieces for a total of four pieces. I also made a big pan of roasted potatoes and added carrots and onions from our garden.

I picked carrots from our garden. I haven't had to buy carrots for about a month now and I love that I can walk right outside for them!

I bought whole wheat bread for $1.03 per loaf and English muffins for $.99 each at the bread outlet store.  I used some of the English muffins to make breakfast sandwiches for lunch this week and I will use them next week to make English muffin pizzas for dinner.

I reused freezer bags.

I started a handmade gift.

How were you able to save this week?


Our on-going savings:

**Compost kitchen and garden scraps.

**Wash laundry in cold water.

**Use online bill pay to pay our bills.

**Earn Swag Bucks for gift cards that I use to buy gifts.

**Earn Recyclebank points for gift cards, coupons and free magazine subscriptions.

**Earn Bing Rewards points for gift cards, Hulu Plus subscription, Skype credits, etc.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.  

**Buy less cereal and eat oatmeal and other homemade breakfasts several times a week.

**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.

3 comments :

Terri Cheney said...

I just bought whole bone in chicken breasts this past week at the local discount market. They are so huge that I packaged them 1 to a packet. I plan on boning when I thaw because they are so huge and I think I'll follow your lead and try to get four pieces from each instead of two as I'd planned. Thank you for sharing that tip!

Vanessa said...

It's a great way to save on meat. I've been gradually making portion sizes for meat a little smaller and adding more sides to our meals in order to fill everyone up.

Blogger said...

SwagBucks is the best work from home website.