Simply Saving Saturday - September 5



This week we are still harvesting a lot of tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden. I made Roasted Tomato Sauce (one of my favorite recipes!) with the tomatoes.  I have already made pickles twice, so we are eating the cucumbers by themselves, putting them in salads and slicing them for sandwiches.  I made zucchini "meatballs" and froze the rest of the zucchini that we picked this week.

I also picked some carrots this week.  It is a little earlier than I planned, but I grew carrots in wide rows this year and I needed to thin them a bit.  I picked the ones that were ready so that the smaller ones will hopefully have a chance to grow.

I turned the air conditioner on when we had a few hot days this week.  I was able to collect water from the air conditioner and used it to water the garden.  I also used water from our homemade rain barrel (a large trash can with a spigot attached to the bottom) to water the garden.

I went to the second hand store to look for something in particular for one of my children.  I didn't find what I was looking for, but while browsing I did find a brand new sweater with the tags still attached for $3.99--regular price $65!  I love shopping at second hand stores; I never know what I'm going to find!

At Walmart I was able to get a few good deals by price matching and using coupons together on a few items.  The cashier was surprised by the deals that I had and said, "I need to start doing that!"

A new Dollar General opened nearby last month.  I entered a drawing for a $50 gift card at the Grand Opening thinking that with over 200 people there, there was no way I would have a chance to win. Well, I was shocked to find a $50 gift card in the mail a few weeks ago!  I stocked up on cereal, paper towels and toilet paper that was all on sale this week and spent a little over $25.  I used a $5 off $25 coupon for more savings and will watch their flyer each week for another sale on paper products and laundry detergent.

Before throwing away a shirt that had a hole in it, I saved the buttons to use for another project.

I earned 234 swag bucks this week, beating my goal of 200 swag bucks.  Next week I'm going to try to reach 250.  For many years we have used the swag bucks that we earn to buy gift cards and used the gift cards to buy gifts for our family.

How was your week?

Our on-going savings:

**Compost kitchen and garden scraps.

**Use the air conditioner only on very hot days and keep it set at 75 degrees.


**Wash laundry in cold water.

**Use online bill pay to pay our bills.

**Earn Swag Bucks for gift cards that I use to buy gifts.

**Earn Recyclebank points for gift cards, coupons and free magazine subscriptions.

**Earn Bing Rewards points for gift cards, Hulu Plus subscription, Skype credits, etc.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.  

**Buy less cereal and eat oatmeal and other homemade breakfasts several times a week.

**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.

1 comments :

Blogger said...

SwagBucks is an high paying work from home website.