Simply Saving Saturday - September 26



I had a very busy week this week and I didn't get everything done that I had planned to.  I am a substitute teacher for our local school district and I was called several times this week to fill in for teachers in the elementary and middle schools.  Each day I brought a lunch from home so that I didn't have to buy food from the cafeteria.

The gardening season is just about over for this year.  I've started cleaning up the garden, but still have quite a bit to do.

I picked more carrots this week and there are still a lot more to pick.  I love fresh carrots and I don't think I could ever get tired of them.

I also picked more banana peppers to make pickled peppers.  Surprisingly, the pepper plants have held up well to the colder fall temperatures and the light frosts.  I was hoping that a few more small peppers that are on the plants would ripen, but I'm not sure if they will before the temperatures get colder.

The boys helped me rake leaves and I added them to the compost.

While I was making pickled banana peppers, I saved the seeds and dried them to plant next year.

My husband put the air conditioner away.  We haven't turned the heat on yet, but with temperatures in the low sixties today we know it won't be long before we'll be needing it.

I cut the boys' hair.


Our on-going savings:

**Compost kitchen and garden scraps.

**Wash laundry in cold water.

**Use online bill pay to pay our bills.

**Earn Swag Bucks for gift cards that I use to buy gifts.

**Earn Recyclebank points for gift cards, coupons and free magazine subscriptions.

**Earn Bing Rewards points for gift cards, Hulu Plus subscription, Skype credits, etc.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.  

**Buy less cereal and eat oatmeal and other homemade breakfasts several times a week.

**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.

3 comments :

Jenn in Indiana said...

Vanessa, I have been thinking of signing up to sub in our district. How do you like it? People keep telling me their horror stories of working in classrooms, LOl. Wow, can't believe how your weather is. We still have our central air on here!

Vanessa said...

Hi, Jenn. I always wanted to be a teacher, so subbing is my dream job. I love being directly involved in the schools that my children are/will be in and getting to know the teachers and students. I have had a couple of tough days, but I always just do the best that I can (I definitely have a whole new respect for teachers). The schools here are VERY supportive of the substitute teachers which helps a lot.

I just started subbing last May, so I don't have a lot of experience yet. Next month I'm planning on taking a free Substitute Teacher Training Course through Adult Ed. If you have something like that in your area and you are interested in subbing, you might like to take a course to see if it is something you really want to do. It did cost quite a bit of money in order to get certified in my state. In my state, I had to get certified as an Ed. Tech. in order to become a substitute teacher in the schools. I have an Ed. Tech. III certification and hope that some day I can become an Ed. Tech.

If you have more questions, feel free to send me an email from the contact page.

Blogger said...

SwagBucks is a very popular get-paid-to site.