Simply Saving Saturday - September 19



This week I made pickled banana peppers with banana peppers from our garden. This was the first year that I was able to successfully grow peppers!  It's hard to grow peppers in our area because of the short growing season, but this year I started growing them inside at the beginning of May and we've also had an unusually warm fall, making it a perfect environment for growing peppers.

I picked more cucumbers and we had more cucumbers than we could possibly eat, so I made another batch of refrigerator pickles.  I also picked onions, carrots, tomatoes and the last of the zucchini and made Zucchini Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies.

I grew sunflowers for the first time this year.  I planted the giant variety and it was so fun to watch them grow to almost 10 feet tall!  I cut a few heads off and let them dry in the sun, but I think I might have tried to harvest the seeds a little too early.  I think I need to wait at least another week or two before cutting the heads off the other plants.

If I get enough sunflower seeds, I would love to try this Sunflower Butter recipe.  Sunbutter is extremely expensive and since one of my children is allergic to peanuts, this would be a great alternative to peanut butter!

I bought a large container of parsley that was on sale at Walmart that was less expensive per ounce than the parsley that I usually buy.  Since starting our low sodium heart healthy diet, I have been using a lot of parsley for flavor.  I won't have to buy parsley for quite a while.

I used water from our rain barrel to water our garden.

Our family borrowed several books and a DVD from the library.

I earned 210 Recyclebank points this week.


What are your favorite ways to live frugally?



Our on-going savings:

**Compost kitchen and garden scraps.

**Use the air conditioner only on very hot days and keep it set at 75 degrees.

**Wash laundry in cold water.

**Use online bill pay to pay our bills.

**Earn Swag Bucks for gift cards that I use to buy gifts.

**Earn Recyclebank points for gift cards, coupons and free magazine subscriptions.

**Earn Bing Rewards points for gift cards, Hulu Plus subscription, Skype credits, etc.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.  

**Buy less cereal and eat oatmeal and other homemade breakfasts several times a week.

**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.

1 comments :

Blogger said...

NeoBux is a very recommended work from home website.