Simply Saving Saturday - September 12



This week I picked tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots and zucchini from the garden.  I made another batch of Roasted Tomato Sauce with some of the tomatoes and carrots.

I turned the air conditioner on for a few days and I collected water from the air conditioner and used it to water the garden.  I also used water from our homemade rain barrel to water the garden.  Since the water rates have increased this year, using rain water from the rain barrel has been a really good savings for us. 

I received a Disney Movie Club offer in the mail this week.  The Disney offer always comes with a sheet of stickers and before throwing it away, I saved the sheet of stickers for Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes.

I downloaded several free kindle ebooks to my Kindle for PC.


In our school district, all children starting in fourth grade have the opportunity to learn an instrument and participate in band.  The lessons are given for free by the band teacher, but families are responsible for the instrument.  Our son wants to learn to play the trumpet, and since we are a musical family and it is important to us to give him this opportunity, we looked into our options.

We had the option to rent a used instrument for $21/month with 2 months free.  There was also another $5 per month fee for insurance which was highly recommended.  The total cost for 10 months plus insurance was $260.  This option seemed like a lot of money for an instrument that was used and I was a little nervous about my 9-year old being responsible for something that we didn't own.

I decided to check musiciansfriend.com, and to my amazement, found a beginner's trumpet on sale for $120 (reg. price $400).  Not only was it much less expensive, but if for some reason it doesn't work out, we have the option to sell the instrument and recoup some of the money we spent.

Our on-going savings:

**Compost kitchen and garden scraps.

**Use the air conditioner only on very hot days and keep it set at 75 degrees.

**Wash laundry in cold water.

**Use online bill pay to pay our bills.

**Earn Swag Bucks for gift cards that I use to buy gifts.

**Earn Recyclebank points for gift cards, coupons and free magazine subscriptions.

**Earn Bing Rewards points for gift cards, Hulu Plus subscription, Skype credits, etc.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.  

**Buy less cereal and eat oatmeal and other homemade breakfasts several times a week.

**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.

1 comments :

Blogger said...

SwagBucks is the best work from home site.