Meal Plan Monday - September 28




Last week I made a big pot of black beans, and I have to admit, I was a little nervous about my children's reaction to eating them. They've eaten beans before, but I usually try to hide them in other foods (i.e. quesadillas). I didn't need to worry though; both of the boys liked the beans and ate them without complaint.

It is amazing how far we have come with an extremely picky eater just two years ago to eating beans! A little over two years ago I wrote Hope For Parents of Picky Eaters and we still use many of the points that I wrote about in our home today.

Last week I also made these Banana Blueberry Bars. I made them for Bible study since there is a family that follows a Vegan diet. Much to my surprise, the bars are delicious and reminded us of banana bread. They are also very, very healthy with no added sugar! While some of the ingredients are more expensive than what I would normally buy, I will occasionally make this recipe since it is a wonderful dessert that my husband can enjoy on the low sodium, low saturated fat, heart healthy diet that we've been following since his heart attack a year ago.

Here's my meal plan for this week:

Monday:
    Whole chicken in the crockpot, carrots, mashed potato, yogurt biscuits 

Tuesday:
     Monterrey Chicken Skillet (without bacon), green beans, leftover biscuits

Wednesday:
    Skinny Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo, carrots

Thursday:
     Spaghetti with homemade sauce, carrot and cucumber sticks

Friday:
    Whole Wheat Calzones, Carrot French Fries

Saturday:
      Black Bean and Sweet Potato Quesadillas, apple slices, carrots

Sunday:
     Enhanced Macaroni Salad and any leftovers from the week



Get other meal plan ideas at Menu Plan Monday.

2 comments :

Dianna B. said...

When you made the dessert bars, did you use the dates? We are not big fans of dates and wonder if it could be made with out them.

Vanessa said...

Dianna, I did use the dates. They are used in this recipe as a sweetener with the apple juice and I honestly didn't taste the dates at all - they tasted just like banana bread!