Simply Saving Saturday - January 11



This week most of our savings were from doing things that have become a habit for us (see list below).

We continue to keep the thermostat set at 66 degrees, but have been preparing for higher heating costs this year due to the very cold winter we are experiencing. Whenever I feel cold I put an extra layer on and have occasionally resorted to crocheting on the couch with a blanket wrapped around my legs. :)

This week I baked a ham and put the ham bone in the freezer to use at a later date.  The ham was an extra ham that I bought when they were on sale for $.89 a pound at Christmastime.  I bought broccoli that was on sale for $.99/pound to make ham and broccoli casserole with the leftovers.  I will probably be able to stretch the leftovers into one other meal as well.

My mom and stepdad have given us a AAA membership as a Christmas gift for the last four years.  This week, while doing a bit of reorganizing (a.k.a cleaning out the junk drawer) I found one of the brochures and decided to look through it. Much to my surprise, I discovered that we can get discounts at many businesses and attractions around the state with our AAA membership.  It turns out that we can get a discount at one of the boys' favorite places--the Maine Discovery Museum.  We will definitely be taking advantage of our new-found savings this summer!

If you have a AAA membership be sure to check the discounts that are available!  You can find the information online at AAA.com or get more information at your local AAA office.

Our on-going savings:

**Keep heat set at 66 degree during the day and 52 degrees at night.

**Wash laundry in cold water.

**Use online bill pay to pay our bills.

**Earn Swag Bucks for Amazon gift cards that I use to buy gifts.

**Earn Recyclebank points for gift cards, coupons and free magazine subscriptions.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.  

**Buy less cereal and eat oatmeal and other homemade breakfasts several times a week.

**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.


[photo credit: frankie-8/freedigitalphotos.net]


Some of the links in this post are referral links. When a new member signs up using my referral link, I receive bonus points for that referral.

1 comments :

Blogger said...

SuperPayMe is an high paying work from home site.