Simply Saving Saturday - November 10

One thing that I've been working on this past year is making sure that all our variable expenses are at their lowest cost.  Back in September I found a couple more ways that I thought we could save on electricity. We have been faithfully turning the laptop off every night and using the "less dry" setting on the dryer.  I never thought I would say this, but last week I couldn't wait to get our bill for October!

When I compared the bill to last year's bill we did see a small amount of savings--we saved $2.99.  But when I looked at our bill from two years ago, we saved $17.39!  It's exciting to see such a big difference in our electric bill since we have become more intentional about finding extra savings.

Chicken Noodle Soup made with homemade chicken broth definitely hit the spot this week when I was feeling a little under the weather.

This week I made Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Chicken and substituted tomato paste with ketchup--the substitution worked great!

I didn't buy any meat this week.  I'm hoping to stretch the meat that we have in the freezer and make it last until the Thanksgiving sales when I will be able to buy turkey very inexpensively.  Last year I was able to buy turkey for $.49/lb.

For store sales this week, I bought green peppers for $.99/lb., lettuce for $.99 and Granny Smith apples for $.99/lb.  I also price-matched at Walmart.

I downloaded a few free books to my kindle for PC.

Our on-going savings:

**Wash laundry in cold water.

**Use the less dry option on the dryer.

**Turn off laptop every night.

**Save kitchen scraps and eggshells for the compost.

**Use online bill pay to pay our bills.

**Follow a weekly meal plan.

**Earn Swag Bucks for Amazon gift cards that I use to buy gifts.

**Earn Recyclebank points for gift cards, coupons and free magazine subscriptions.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use cash to buy groceries.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.  

**Buy less cereal and eat oatmeal and other homemade breakfasts several times a week.

**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.


Some of the links in this post are referral links. When a new member signs up using my referral link, I receive bonus points for that referral.

1 comments :

Blogger said...

ClixSense is the biggest work from home website.