Simply Saving Saturday - October 26

One of our vehicles left my husband and children stranded on Sunday and by the end of the week, we had to spend hundreds of dollars to get both of our vehicles fixed.  But on the bright side, we were thankful that we were prepared by having a savings account for situations just like this!

As winter gets closer, the temperatures in the last week have definitely turned colder.  We are now getting temperatures in the 50s during the day, and had to turn the heat on this week.  We've been keeping the thermostat set to 65 during the day and 60 at night.  It's time for hot chocolate and warm slippers!

The days are also getting shorter and we're trying to remember to turn off lights when they aren't being used!

This week a neighbor's cat started using one of the gardens that I had cleaned out as a kitty litter.  For a quick, inexpensive fix I covered the garden with landscaping fabric that was leftover from a project that we did years ago. In the spring, I will have to find another way to keep the cat away--but this is working for now.

My son earned another Book-It coupon for a free personal pan pizza from pizza hut through his school.

I cut our younger son's hair.

I bought bread at the bread store for $.80 each.  I also bought apples for $.69/lb. and grapes for $.97/lb. Eggs were $1.29/dozen--not a stock-up price, but still less expensive than the $1.98 that I've been paying!

My children received a free lego magazine in the mail.  Our younger son was enthralled with the large two-page advertisement of Legoland.  He had the whole trip planned out explaining to me that we could take a plane.  When I told him that it is too far away, his response?  "That's okay, mom, I like long trips!"  Oh, the innocence of childhood!--

Our on-going savings:

**Wash laundry in cold water.

**Save kitchen scraps and eggshells for the compost.

**Use online bill pay to pay our bills.

**Follow a weekly meal plan.

**Earn Swag Bucks for Amazon gift cards that I use to buy gifts.

**Earn Recyclebank points for gift cards, coupons and free magazine subscriptions.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use cash to buy groceries.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.  

**Buy less cereal and eat oatmeal and other homemade breakfasts several times a week.

**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.


Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are referral links. When a new member signs up using my referral link, I receive bonus points for that referral.

1 comments :

Blogger said...

ClixSense is an high paying work from home site.