Simply Saving Saturday - October 5


Even though autumn means that winter is right around the corner, I can't help but love the beautiful foliage we see here in the fall.  We raked up big piles of leaves so that the boys could jump in them.  I also added leaves to the compost and to the garden.

I planted mums that I was given in one of the pots that we used for the tomatoes.  I have never been able to get them to survive the winters here, but I read online that I could plant them in a pot, cut them back, keep them watered through the winter and plant them in the spring. This way they have a chance to get established and will have a better chance of surviving through the winters.  I am hoping this little experiment works!

At the store this week I bought carrots for $.66/lb. and grapes for $.97/lb.  I also price matched at Walmart and used coupons to get cereal for under $2 a box.  Two of the boxes had cereal coupons on the back that I was able to use to get an even better deal.  Even though we are eating less cereal, I like to stock up when I find a great deal.

I bought bread at the bread store for $.99 per loaf.

While I was at Rite Aid to buy milk, I just happened to notice seed packets on sale for $.24 each.  I was excited to find vegetables that I was planning for next year's garden - spinach, lettuce and onions!  I also bought a packet of banana peppers that I thought would be fun to try.

In the kitchen this week I cooked a whole chicken, made chicken broth and garlic bread sticks.

I worked on a new blog project and was able to create the design myself with a photo editor.

Our on-going savings:

**Wash laundry in cold water.

**Save kitchen scraps and eggshells for the compost.

**Use online bill pay to pay our bills.

**Follow a weekly meal plan.

**Earn Swag Bucks for Amazon gift cards that I use to buy gifts.

**Earn Recyclebank points for gift cards, coupons and free magazine subscriptions.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use cash to buy groceries.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.  

**Buy less cereal and eat oatmeal and other homemade breakfasts several times a week.

**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.


Some of the links in this post are referral links. When a new member signs up using my referral link, I receive bonus points for that referral.

2 comments :

Blogger said...

SwagBucks is the best work from home website.

Steve said...

This is such a nice blog! Epharmarx