Simply Saving Saturday - September 21


A couple of weeks ago I got a bill in the mail for a doctor's office visit from 2 years ago that I had already paid in full.  It was under $20 and normally I would have just paid it, but I decided to call billing to find out more about it.  After talking with the billing department and with my insurance company, I found out that the insurance company had done an audit and noticed that they had processed part of the claim incorrectly. I called the billing department back this week to make the payment and was surprised when they told me that the insurance had made adjustments again and I now had a credit!  I think my phone call to the insurance company may have caused them to review the bill again.

This week I've been looking for more ways to save on electricity.  We've started turning the laptop off at night and I started using the energy preferred setting on the dryer.  It has a sensor to turn off when the laundry is dry.  I set it on "less dry" and noticed that only the jeans were a little bit damp at the end of the cycle.  I hung them on the drying rack to finish drying.  We've had some beautiful fall weather and I was able to hang a load of bedding on the clothesline to dry.  We also took the air conditioner out of the window and stored it away for next year.

Last week I bought a ham and whole chicken on sale for $.99.  This week I cooked the ham and made My Favorite Ham and Bean Soup which was enough for a meal and several lunches.  I also made ham salad sandwiches for a potluck and will use the rest of the leftover ham for a meal next week.  I cooked the chicken in the crock pot, made overnight chicken broth and Chicken Noodle Soup with the broth and leftover chicken.  I also made Mile High Biscuits.

I made two quarts of spaghetti sauce with tomatoes from our garden and froze it in glass jars that I had saved.

This week grapes and whole chicken were on sale for $.88/lb.  I also bought potatoes for $.30/lb. and onions for $.33/lb.  I bought extra chicken and onions to freeze.  I price-matched Miracle Whip at Walmart and found $.75 coupons on the bottles and ended up paying $1.75 each.  I bought several since that is almost $1 cheaper than the generic brands.

I signed up for an offer that I noticed on Swagbucks.com for 150 Swag Bucks to sign up for audible.com for one month and get a free audiobook.  I will cancel before the free trial expires.

I cashed in Swag Bucks for two $5 Amazon gift cards.


Our on-going savings:

**Wash laundry in cold water.

**Save kitchen scraps and eggshells for the compost.

**Use online bill pay to pay our bills.

**Follow a weekly meal plan.

**Earn Swag Bucks for Amazon gift cards that I use to buy gifts.

**Earn Recyclebank points for gift cards, coupons and free magazine subscriptions.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use cash to buy groceries.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.  

**Buy less cereal and eat oatmeal and other homemade breakfasts several times a week.

**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.


Some of the links in this post are referral links. When a new member signs up using my referral link, I receive bonus points for that referral

3 comments :

Jenn in Indiana said...

That is just nuts to me that they can decide 2 years after the fact that you still owe them money! Plus that kind of thing always drives me crazy because of the amount of time you have to spend on the phone trying to get it all figured out! Oh well!

Vanessa M. said...

Jenn, I thought the same thing and was very surprised by it. The billing department for the doctor's office wasn't surprised at all; it sounded like it was a common practice.

I didn't mind spending the time on the phone too much. I actually discovered that I kind of like the challenge of investigating things like this. :)

Blogger said...

NeoBux is a very recommended get-paid-to site.