Simply Saving Saturday - August 31

I was very excited to start a compost this week.  To start, we are using this easy compost bin idea from Blissfully Domestic.  Once we have some experience, we will try something bigger.  I would really like to try this 3-bin system with garbage cans.

I picked green beans, zucchini, tomatoes and a buttercup squash from the garden.

While trying to find ways to use up the tomatoes from our garden, I made Vegetable Tian.  Since I used zucchini and tomatoes from our garden, it cost just pennies to make!

I also made 5 pints of salsa with the tomatoes from our garden.

I used ground flaxseed as an egg substitute in baking this week when I ran out of eggs.

I tried a new ranch dressing recipe and I think I have finally found the one.  We weren't thrilled with the other recipes I have tried, but this one is definitely a keeper.  I didn't have the dill that the recipe called for, but we thought it was still very good without it.

We received the Fitness Reimbursement from our insurance company!  We are going to save the money and use it toward the cost of next year's gym membership.


Our on-going savings:

**Wash laundry in cold water.

**Save eggshells for the garden.

**Use online bill pay to pay our bills.

**Follow a weekly meal plan.

**Earn Swag Bucks for Amazon gift cards that I use to buy gifts.

**Earn Recyclebank points for gift cards, coupons and free magazine subscriptions.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use cash to buy groceries.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.  

**Buy less cereal and eat oatmeal and other homemade breakfasts several times a week.

**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.

Note: Some of the links in this post are referral links. When a new member signs up using my referral link, I receive bonus points for that referral.

3 comments :

Jenn in Indiana said...

canning salsa, that is something on my to do list for this week. What recipe do you use? I hate to think of all that work of canning and then not care for the salsa. That happened to me this year canning dill pickeles! Have a great week!

Vanessa M. said...

A few years ago I tried making my own salsa and I ended up not liking it at all. So last year I used Mrs. Wages Salsa seasoning mix. We liked it so much that I used it again this year.

It only comes in medium and hot and is a little bit too spicy for us, but I noticed that if I only use about 3/4 of the packet it is just right.

http://www.mrswages.com/Page/Salsa_Mix.aspx

Blogger said...

SwagBucks is the biggest work from home site.