Simply Saving Saturday - August 24


This week we found the first signs of fall!

The temperatures went up again this week, but the nights stayed cool.  In the mornings we put a fan in one of the windows to cool the house off.  When it started to warm up, I closed all the windows and set the air conditioner to 76 degrees.  Most days the air conditioner did not turn on until 3:30 in the afternoon and we turned it off again at around 7 p.m.

I picked lettuce, green beans, and a zucchini.  The squash is almost ready to be picked!



One of my husband's coworkers gave us a big bag of beautiful blackberries.  I made two 1/2 pints of freezer jam, blackberry syrup with the seeds and pulp and we are enjoying them with cereal and oatmeal.  I'm also going to experiment with growing blackberries from the seeds.  As a thank you, we shared some of the blueberry freezer jam that I made a few weeks ago.

Amazon Mom offered a discount on select toys to all Amazon Mom members.  I signed up for a free 3-month trial and also received free 2-day shipping on my order!  Amazon Mom members also get 20% off all diapers and wipes.

With the Amazon Mom promotion, I decided to order a few gifts with Amazon gift cards that I earned from Swagbucks.com.  With promotions, free shipping and gift cards I saved $36.30 and spent under $3.

I also cashed in Swag Bucks for a $5 gift card.

I earned 25 points with Tyndale Rewards for taking a survey.  In this rewards program, books and Bibles can be purchased with rewards points that are earned.

I bought grapes for $.99/lb.  They will be a great snack to put in lunchboxes when school starts next week.  I also found a 75% off summer clearance at the grocery store and bought buckets with shovels for $.25 each and child size shovel, rake, hoe sets for $1.25 each.

Our older son turned 7 today!  He wanted an Angry Birds party and I was able to keep costs down by planning ahead so that I could buy food when it was on sale, using things that I had saved from previous birthday parties, making my own theme cake and using free printables that I found online.

I cut younger son's hair.

In my mailbox: Energizer coupons, free magazine.


Our on-going savings:

**Wash laundry in cold water.

**Save eggshells for the garden.

**Use online bill pay to pay our bills.

**Follow a weekly meal plan.

**Earn Swag Bucks for Amazon gift cards that I use to buy gifts.

**Earn Recyclebank points for gift cards, coupons and free magazine subscriptions.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use cash to buy groceries.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.  

**Buy less cereal and eat oatmeal and other homemade breakfasts several times a week.

**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.

Note: Some of the links in this post are referral links. When a new member signs up using my referral link, I receive bonus points for that referral.

1 comments :

Blogger said...

SwagBucks is a very popular get-paid-to website.