Back-To-School Freezer Cooking: Pancake Sandwiches




During the last school year I found myself hurrying in the mornings to make a school lunch for our son and wishing that I could give him something more creative than a plain old sandwich and carrot sticks.  

I first discovered the idea of pancake sandwiches on the blog 100 Days of Real Food.  I made them for lunch recently and the boys loved them!  I'm sure they would be a welcome change in their lunchboxes, but who has time to make pancakes when you are rushing to get the kids ready for school?  

Hello, freezer cooking.

The "cook now and freeze for later" philosophy not only works well for dinner, but is perfect for parents who want to give their children a healthy, exciting lunch to take to school.



Any pancake recipe can be used, but I like this healthy, no-sugar-added Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes recipe.  I doubled the recipe and used a 1/4-cup measuring cup to scoop the batter onto a griddle. I let them cool, laid them out on baking sheets and flash froze them and then put them in freezer bags to store in the freezer.



To make the pancake sandwiches, take out as many pancakes as needed and let them thaw overnight.  The next morning, cut the pancakes in half and spread one half with cream cheese and a little bit of jam or jelly and cover with the other half of the pancake.

Add yogurt and veggies for a simple lunch that your children will love!



Other posts in this series:
Back-To-School Freezer Cooking: Mini Muffins
Back-To-School Freezer Cooking: No-Bake Energy Bites

2 comments :

Catherine Fuller said...

I love it! The name is what makes it over the top great. I can always sell my kids on a sand which or a pop anything.

Kimberly said...

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing. I make pancakes and freeze them often, but I've never thought to make them into sandwiches. And with two little ones, I'm always looking for new lunch ideas. :)