Christmas {Decorating} In July: Ruffled Christmas Trees



This is the last project in the Christmas {Decorating} In July series and I think this was my favorite. As a child of the 80's, it brought back fond memories of the ruffle skirts and dresses that my mom made for us.  It also made me more appreciative of the work she put into them.  One skirt that she made had no less than five layers of ruffles!

To start this project you will need a cone for the base.  A styrofoam cone can be used as a base, but I made my own cones by rolling up a piece of poster board. A piece of cardstock could also be used.  I used an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of poster board for the small tree and an 8 1/2" x 16" piece of poster board for the large tree.


I cut a fat quarter into 2" strips and sewed each strip, right sides together, to make one long strip.  To make the ruffles, I changed the stitch length setting to the longest length and sewed two lines down the entire length of the strip using a 1/4" seam.  (If you don't sew, you might like to try this no-sew version from building this nest.)


I made the ruffles by gently pulling on the top 2 threads on each end and gently pushing the fabric along the threads.


To wrap the ruffled strip around the cone, I used a glue gun and glued the first 2 inches of the strip to the bottom of the cone and used a small dot of glue to secure the other end of the strip at the top.  To finish up, I cut all the strings around the edges.

If you try this project, I would love to hear how it turned out.  This was my first time making ruffles and if I can do it anyone can!  I think I can see a few more of these trees in my future.



Other posts in this series:

2 comments :

Jeni IGOTTHISMARTHA said...

Those are just too cute!

Vanessa M. said...

Thank you! They were a lot of fun to make.