Christmas {Decorating} In July: Make Old Christmas Ornaments Look New Again

Last December, just a few weeks before Christmas, I realized that besides our little tree and the lights in our front window I didn't have any other Christmas decorations to decorate our home.  I also noticed that some of our old ornaments needed a face lift.

November and December are very busy months for our family, so I decided to get a head start this year by making decorations in July!  Oh, and another thing.  I challenged myself to make all Christmas decorations for $0.  Yes, I will try to use only what I already have to decorate my home for Christmas this year!

My first project was to make our old glass ornaments look new again and I love their new look.


We bought these ornaments for $2.99 at Walmart 8 years ago when we realized that we needed Christmas ornaments to decorate our first tree together as husband and wife.  It's hard to see in this picture, but the ornaments had yellowed a bit and a few had scratches and dark spots on them.  And yes, that is yarn and string that was used to hang them on the tree.  Fancy, huh?


So I found acrylic paint, paint brushes, spray glitter and ribbon to give these old ornaments new life.  First, I pulled the top out just a bit.



I used a sponge brush to dab white acrylic paint onto the ornament and let it dry.



After the paint dried, I used spray glitter to give them a glossy, sparkly shine and scraps of ribbon from my ribbon jar added just the right touch.

I can't wait to hang these "new" ornaments on our tree this year!




Linking to:
My Salvaged Treasures












Christmas In July at Walking On Sunshine.

8 comments :

Jean @sonotorganized.com said...

What a fantastic idea! I will be looking at our holiday decorations with a new eye this year to see if we have any that could stand a make-over. By the way, your yarn is nice compared to the bread ties I use to hang some of our ornaments :)

Vanessa M. said...

Bread ties! I never would have thought of that! LOL. As I learn to live frugally, I am constantly amazed at the resourcefulness I find. I love how you used what you had. :)

Joanne T Ferguson said...

G'day! What a GREAT idea, true!
Has that something old and something new look and feel about it and can't wait to share this with my friends too!
Cheers! Joanne
Foodie Friends Friday too!
Now on FB http://www.facebook.com/whatsonthelist

Walking on Sunshine said...

What a great idea! I love how you made the old ornaments look even better than before! Thank you for linking up with Foodie Friends Friday!

Marlys @thisandthat said...

This is a super great idea and now I know what to do with my old ornaments. Thanks for sharing this on Foodie Friends Friday and I want to let you know that this is my host favorite for the week. It will be shared on the Daily Dish Magazine on Monday and then on my blog for the next week's party. I love this idea.
Pinning it also

Vanessa M. said...

Thanks so much, Marlys!

Sparkly H said...

These are GREAT!!! I love these - I have several old ornaments that I am going to try this with! Thanks for sharing with Foodie Friends Friday!! Zannie @ mymixingspoon

marie said...

Very clever...they look like sparkly snowballs!