I love summer salads and this is one of my favorites. It's a simple salad, but what makes it stand out from the rest is the creamy dressing that gets a boost of flavor from the Italian dressing. With the tomatoes and celery adding color and texture, it's the perfect summer salad. The recipe is one of my go-to recipes for a large summer potluck, but just half the recipe would work well for a family barbecue.
Tuna Macaroni Salad
1 (16 oz.) pkg. macaroni
3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
3 stalks celery, chopped
(or 1 cucumber, seeded and chopped)
2 (5 oz.) cans tuna, drained
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise or creamy salad dressing (Miracle Whip)
1 tbs. Italian salad dressing
1 tbs. sugar
pinch of black pepper
1. Cook pasta just until al dente and rinse under cold water; drain well.
2. In a large bowl combine the pasta, tomatoes, celery and tuna.
3. Prepare dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise (or creamy salad dressing), Italian dressing, sugar and pepper.
4. Mix 1 cup of dressing into pasta mixture and refrigerate for 1 hour. Refrigerate remaining dressing.
5. Just before serving, stir reserved dressing into pasta.