Simply Saving Saturday

This past Sunday the children and I went to church early with my husband instead of using extra gas to take a second vehicle to church.

We planted bean seedlings that our son grew at school and we planted squash seedlings in our second garden.

I saved yogurt cups that have covers and used them to store our leftover vegetable seeds.

I raked up grass clippings to use as mulch in the garden to (hopefully) help with weed control.  I also put some around the tomato plants which I've read helps keep moisture in the soil.



While I was making banana bread this week, I realized that I was out of eggs.  Instead of running to the store, I did a quick internet search.  I used 1/3 cup of applesauce and 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed mixed with 3 tablespoons of water to replace 2 eggs in the recipe.  It worked really well!

I made strawberry popsicles with apple juice that I bought on sale instead of grape juice.

We saved a quick $84/year by removing the protection plan from our Dish account.  According to a lady I talked to in customer service, the protection plan covers most of the cost of a technician coming to our home to fix an issue with our satellite reception.  The ironic part is, according to the person I spoke with, when a technician comes out they will ask if we want the protection plan. It makes me wonder how many people are needlessly paying for the protection plan.

I haven't shopped at Rite Aid for quite a few months, but I went in to get the Stayfree deal and was surprised to see that the brand of milk that we have been buying is over $.50 cheaper there!  Rite Aid is a little bit out of our way, but when I can, I will plan to buy milk there.

We borrowed several books from the library, including a recipe book of meatless meals.  My husband jokingly told me that I couldn't read that book. :)  We also borrowed a DVD for our family night.

I price-matched at Walmart to save time and gas.

Earned $3 for taking a survey.

In my mailbox: Fiber One sample

I cut both children's hair.

Our on-going savings:

**Follow a weekly meal plan.

**Earn Swag Bucks for Amazon gift cards that I use to buy gifts.

**Earn Recyclebank points for gift cards, coupons and free magazine subscriptions.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use cash to buy groceries.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.  

**Buy less cereal and eat oatmeal and other homemade breakfasts several times a week.

**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.

**Save bread ends for the freezer.



Note: Some of the links in this post are referral links. When a new member signs up using my referral link, I receive bonus points for that referral.

1 comments :

Blogger said...

NeoBux is a very recommended work from home site.