Simply Saving Saturday

I can't say that we had a particularly frugal week.  My husband was on vacation this week and we took the kids to the beach and to the Wildlife Park which both have entrance fees, not to mention the gas that we spent for the trips.  We did bring our own snacks, drinks and meals to make our trips a little more frugal.



One of the boys' favorite places is the beach.  They asked us all winter when they could go to the beach and I had to keep reminding them that we would go this summer.  They were really excited to spend a day at Popham Beach.


Our older son loves the water.  The ice cold water made our toes ache, but it didn't seem to bother him at all.


Our younger son playing in the sand.



My favorite thing to do at the beach is read.  I brought along a book from the library, One Glorious Ambition: The Compassionate Crusade of Dorothea Dix by Jane Kirkpatrick.



We also visited the Maine Wildlife Park.  The Park provides a permanent home for injured, orphaned or human dependent native Maine animals--and peacocks.  The highlight of our time there was seeing a peacock fan his feathers.

Some of our savings for this week:

Made Cinnamon Stove Top Granola.

I thinned the zucchini and transplanted the plants to another part of the garden.  So far they are thriving though they are smaller than the other plants.

When I went to pull some weeds around the squash plants, I noticed a few slugs.  I put crushed eggshells around the plants to hopefully keep slugs from having a nice meal on the leaves.  If it gets to be a big problem, I might try Sluggo.

My children begged me to make them a tape road this week.  So I got out the masking tape and they had fun with their cars on the kitchen floor for a few hours.

I made a fruit fly trap with a piece of paper and a glass bottle I had saved.

We found some dice and took pennies, nickels, and dimes from our change jar to play the Penny, Nickel, Dime Exchange game that my son learned to play at school.  It's a great way to practice addition facts and review money values.

The boys were so excited when their dad put their beds together to make a bunk bed.  The bunk bed has  supplied the boys with hours of imaginative play, but we are also hoping to see our electric bill go down a little since we won't have as many fans and night lights running at night.

In my mailbox: cat food sample, free magazine, energizer and unilever coupons.

Our on-going savings:

**Save eggshells for the garden.

**Follow a weekly meal plan.

**Earn Swag Bucks for Amazon gift cards that I use to buy gifts.

**Earn Recyclebank points for gift cards, coupons and free magazine subscriptions.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use cash to buy groceries.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.  

**Buy less cereal and eat oatmeal and other homemade breakfasts several times a week.

**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.



Note: Some of the links in this post are referral links. When a new member signs up using my referral link, I receive bonus points for that referral.

1 comments :

Blogger said...

SwagBucks is a very popular work from home website.