Simply Saving Saturday


This weekend we took the boys to a local park where we followed the walking trail,



enjoyed a picnic lunch that we brought along,



the apple blossoms,


and some beautiful views.


Here are some other simple savings from this week:

**After a very warm week last week, this week turned a little chilly.  Many mornings we woke up to frost on the ground.  Instead of turning the furnace on, we wore sweaters until the sun was able to warm the house up.

**I used a small amount of dressing that was leftover from making Ranch Chicken Salad BLTs to make egg salad sandwiches.  It was so good I think I will continue to make my dressing this way!

**I made Whole Wheat Strawberry Banana pancakes (using this recipe) with strawberries that I got on sale.  I flash froze them on a baking sheet and then stored them in a freezer bag in the freezer.  It makes a really nice quick and easy breakfast (I just warm them up in the toaster) and the boys enjoyed something different for breakfast.

**I used a very ripe banana that no one wanted to eat to make Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins.  To make the recipe a little more frugal, I left out the nuts and used vegetable oil instead of coconut oil.

**I spent a lot of time the last few weeks learning more of Photoshop Elements (a program that came with our laptop) and creating a new blog design.  It's not fancy, but I didn't have to spend a lot of money to have someone else do it for me.

**Earned $3.00 for taking a survey.

**Bought bread and hot dog rolls at the bread store for $.67 each.

**In my mailbox: 2 free magazines.

**When we got our phone bill this week, I was shocked to see that it was about 3 times more than what we normally pay.  I gave them a call the next day and had to make another phone call to get the situation cleared up, but I think it's been worked out and we will only need to pay our regular payment.  It was a bit of an inconvenience, but the extra time on the phone saved us quite a bit of money!

Our on-going savings:

**Follow a weekly meal plan.

**Earn Swag Bucks for Amazon gift cards that I use to buy gifts.

**Earn Recyclebank points for gift cards, coupons and free magazine subscriptions.

**Keep thermostat at 60 during the day and at night.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use cash to buy groceries.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.  

**Buy less cereal and eat oatmeal several times a week.

**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.

**Save bread ends for the freezer.



Note: Some of the links in this post are referral links. When a new member signs up using my referral link, I receive bonus points for that referral.


1 comments :

Blogger said...

ClixSense is a very recommended get-paid-to site.