Simply Saving Saturday

**The temperatures are finally warming up here and we were able to turn the thermostat off and open a few windows during some of the warmer days this week!  The schools had spring break this week and the boys spent time outside at the playground, jumping on their aunt and uncle's trampoline and helping their dad with spring yard work.

While working outside, our older son scooped quite a large amount of dirt into his shovel and put it in the wheelbarrow.  His dad told him that he must have big muscles to be able to do that. Our son said without hesitation, "I know, Dad."  



**I made a teacher's gift to give our son's teacher at the end of the year.  I used coasters that I found on clearance at Walmart along with a few things that I found in my craft box.  The total cost was a little over $.08.

**I used points I earned from Recyclebank to get a free one-year subscription to All You magazine.  I was so excited to see this magazine added to the reward options for Recyclebank.  It is one of my favorite magazines with lots of coupons and simple recipe ideas, but it is one of those "extras" that I have learned I can live without--unless I can get it for free!

**Used soap coupons at Dollar Tree and paid just $.05 tax for a bar of soap.  It has been months, probably close to a year, since I have paid more than $.05 for soap!


**I cut my older son's hair.

**Used shampoo and conditioner samples all week.




**I used a free pattern and fabric and interfacing that my mom gave me last summer to make a new purse.  I was very happy with how it turned out!

**We were blessed to be given a gallon of paint this week and we are using it to repaint our older son's room.  This is a project that we were hoping to get done this year and we are so thankful to be able to do it so inexpensively.  Our son is very excited about having a "big boy" room and I can't wait to use a few inexpensive ideas I found on Pinterest to update his room.

**I made a birthday card using things I had on hand.  I cut a picture from a sympathy card and attached it to a piece of matching cardstock and used a flower stamp to add a little decoration to the inside.

**I was able to make 2 very inexpensive meals for our whole family with 2 bone-in chicken breasts.  I made my own boneless, skinless chicken breasts by removing the skin and cutting the meat from the bone and used them to make Garlic Lime Chicken.  

I boiled the bones, picked the remaining meat off them and used the boiled chicken to make a pasta dish.  I had almost all the ingredients to make the 2 meals and only needed to purchase 2 items.  A little bit of planning ahead of time really does help lower the grocery bill!

Our on-going savings:

**Follow a weekly meal plan.

**Earn Swag Bucks for Amazon gift cards that I use to buy gifts.

**Keep thermostat at 67 during the day and 62 at night.
(We were able to turn the heat off for a few days this week!)

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use cash to buy groceries.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.  
(We took more than one trip to town this week.)

**Buy less cereal and eat oatmeal several times a week.

**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.

**Save bread ends for the freezer.



Note: Some of the links in this post are referral links. When a new member signs up using my referral link, I receive bonus points for that referral.


3 comments :

Holley m said...

I LOVE your purse!!! It is so cute! The fabric is just adorable!

I also love the teacher gift, it is useful and cute as can be! I love when things come together like that with little bits and pieces of things we already have! Good for you! I know his teacher will love it!

Vanessa M. said...

Yes, I love it when I can use things that I already have around my home. I think my husband likes it too since I am using up some of my craft supplies which seem to have multiplied faster than I can use them in the last year. :)

I noticed that you had a good frugal week as well. I love all the deals you found at yard sale and I was just a bit envious that you were able to plant your garden already!

Blogger said...

NeoBux is the biggest work from home website.