Frugal Recipe Redo: My Favorite Ham and Bean Soup




It was quite a surprise when I found a ham and bean soup recipe that I love.  My new frugal self also loves the fact that I found a way to use all of our holiday ham instead of just throwing the bone away.

There was just one problem: it's not a frugal ham and bean soup recipe.  This isn't a traditional ham and bean soup recipe and there were a few ingredients that just didn't fit into our grocery budget.  With just a few changes and adjustments, I was able to make this recipe fit into our frugal budget.






















My Favorite Ham and Bean Soup

Adapted from: The Best Bean and Ham Soup
Makes: 8-12 servings

1 (20 oz.) pkg. 15 bean mixture, soaked overnight
1 ham bone
2 cups cubed ham
1 large onion, chopped
3 stalks celery,chopped
5 large carrots, chopped
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
8 cups chicken broth
3 tbs. lemon juice
2 tbs. worcestershire sauce
2 tbs. mustard
3 bay leaves
1 tbs. dried parsley
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. kosher salt (or regular salt)

1.  Drain soaking water from the beans and cover beans with fresh water.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes; drain (if you use the quickcook method, you can skip this step).

2.  Remove all fat from the ham bone and place in large stock pot with beans, chicken broth, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, mustard, bay leaves, parsley, and black pepper.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 4 hours.

3.  Add onion, celery, carrots and ham and continue to simmer for 4 hours, adding more chicken broth or water if needed.  Remove ham bone; remove any ham on bone and return it to the pot. Add tomatoes, season with salt if needed and continue to simmer until beans are tender. Remove bay leaves before serving.

Notes:  If you prefer a thinner soup, add more water or chicken broth.





Linking with the Penny Pinching Party and these parties.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

4 comments :

Ruth Soukup said...

I love that you worked the recipe to make it fit your budget better and way to go on using up all of your ham! Thanks for sharing it at LWSL this week!

Susan@EducatingToday.com said...

I'm so glad I found your blog and this bean soup recipe sounds very yummy! I'm always looking for frugal recipes that are nutritious and made with real live food instead of packaged recipes.

I'm surprised to see mustard in the list of ingredients. I'm going to give that a try.

Vanessa M. said...

Susan - The original recipe calls for Dijon mustard and if you like a little spice, you might like to use the Dijon instead. I used regular because that is what we buy. I hope you enjoy the recipe.

Shauna Smart said...

Yummy! I love a good soup recipe! I'd love for you to link up a few posts at my weekend link party@The Weekend re-Treat! on The Best Blog Recipes if you haven't already!

Hope to see you there!

Shauna
http://thebestblogrecipes.blogspot.com/
http://ready2loseweight.blogspot.com/