Simply Saving Saturday


Frugal living is a lifestyle--it's all the little things we do every day to save money.  Join me on my frugal living journey as I share ways we simply save each week.

I spent this week at home due to a cold virus that found it's way into our home.  Our children seem to have weathered this virus much better than I have.

The one good thing about being ill was my husband did the grocery shopping for me this week.  Since I didn't go out to the stores, I wasn't tempted to buy extra things that we didn't need. 

My husband did, however, bring home a box of clearanced ice cream that was definitely not on the grocery list, but it was a nice treat after a very long week.


Here are a few ways I found to simply save this week:

**Made whole wheat banana muffins with overripe bananas.

**Added beans to our tacos which stretched the meat further and made them very filling.  I mashed the beans with a fork and the children didn't even realize they were eating beans!

**Made bread crumbs with bread ends from the freezer.


**Received a coupon for free juice in my mailbox this week.

**Saved some jars for the garden and for food storage.

**Tried a cinnamon and honey cold remedy.  According to what I read, It seems to work really well when taken at the first sign of a cold.  It didn't really work well for me, but it may be because I started taking it a few days after I suspected that I was coming down with a cold. 

**Earned $3 from Pinbooster this week.

**Earned $.30 from Jingit.  I earned $25 with this company between October and January and it seemed to be a very promising way to earn a little extra money, but there haven't been as many earning opportunities lately.  Smartphone owners can earn a little more by downloading their app and doing check-ins at Walmart.

**A note from our son's teacher mentioned that his class was running low on glue sticks.  Before going to the dollar store to purchase them, I checked our craft box and found two that hadn't been used that our son can take to school.

Our on-going savings:

**Keep thermostat at 67 during the day and 62 at night.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use cash to buy groceries.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.


Did you find any simple ways to save this week?

2 comments :

Kelsey Homolka said...

I love reading about your savings tips and what you did to lower you bills! It's fun to see a different take on ideas and ways to save :)

Vanessa M. said...

Thanks for your comment. I'm still learning about living frugally, but I'm glad that you found this post useful!