Simply Saving Saturday


Frugal living is a lifestyle--it's all the little things we do every day to save money. Join me on my frugal living journey as I share ways we simply save each week.
 
Our sofa is currently blocking the baseboard in the living room.  While we have known that this was a problem, we weren't able to rearrange the furniture in order to fix it.
 
This week we ordered a smaller TV stand that will fit on the wall with the windows so that we will be able to move the sofa.  Buying a new piece of furniture might not sound very frugal, but we think that the future savings on our heating bill will make the money spent a good investment.
 
Sometimes money has to be spent in order to save!
 
 
Here are some simple savings I found this week:
 
**It was warm and sunny on Sunday, so we turned the heat off and opened the windows!  I'm trying not to get too excited about the warm weather since there is a good chance we may get more snow next week.
 
**I called our phone company about a phone/internet package promo I had heard about, and even though I didn't qualify for the discount they did take $8/month off our internet bill!  The representative on the phone said to call back next year as they may have an even better deal.  It never hurts to call the utility companies and ask if they have any promotions running.


 
**I made laundry soap for the first time this week.  I've been hesitant to use homemade laundry soap since I've read that it can cause problems with washing machines and can cause clothes to get dingy.  I used this recipe from The Prudent Homemaker who says she has been using it for years with no problems.  I reused the oxi-clean scoop for my new laundry soap scoop since it measures exactly 2 tablespoons.
 
I used the Olay bars that I got for free from the Dollar Tree, but they were a little bit smaller than regular-sized bars so I used 1 1/2 bars.  I also added about a capful of Purex Crystals that I bought with a coupon a few weeks ago.
 
**Received a vitamin sample and 2 magazines from free subscriptions.
 
**Earned $2 from Pinbooster.
 
**Saved stickers from a Disney movie offer that came in the mail for Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes.
 
**Cut both boys' hair.
 
 
 
**Found a piece of fabric at the thrift store for $.50 that will make a nice pillow (or two) for the sofa.  Now I've just got to find inexpensive pillow forms!
 
**Paid cash for a new roof thanks to our tax refund.  We were told a year ago that we would need a new roof this year, so we saved our tax refund specifically for this purpose.  We were very thankful that we didn't have to borrow money for this not-so-frugal project!
 
Our on-going savings:

**Keep thermostat at 67 during the day and 62 at night.

**Husband takes lunch to work everyday.

**Turn lights off when not being used.

**Use cash to buy groceries.

**Use scrap paper for notes and lists.

**Drive to town once a week for shopping and errands.
 
**Buy less cereal and eating oatmeal several times a week.
 
**Reuse plastic and paper shopping bags for small trash and recycling.


Have you ever used homemade laundry detergent?  Did you have any problems with it?

0 comments :