Simply Saving Saturday



Frugal living is a lifestyle--it's all the little things we do every day to save money.   Join me on my frugal living journey as I share ways we simply save each week.

I had no idea that my frugal ways were rubbing off onto my children until this week.

We were in the car, hurrying to get home and my mind was in the kitchen trying to come up with a quick meal for dinner.  My 6-year old son asked me what to do with the bag that his snack was in and I told him he could throw it away when we get home. 

His little voice quickly piped up from the back seat, "Mom, we can reuse it, can't we?"

Out of the mouths of babes.


Here's how we were able to simply save this week:

**Put bread end-slices in freezer.

**Cooked a whole chicken that I bought on sale last week and put the bones in the freezer to make homemade broth at another time.


**Made hummus without Tahini

**Made White Bean Alfredo Sauce with noodles and leftover peas from another meal.  Children and husband loved it and they still don't know that it was made with beans!

**I won an 8 oz. sample of Behr Paint from a promotion that they did around Valentine's Day.  The paint color will be one of 7 pink or red colors and I am hoping for a red color since I have lots of projects I want to do in the boys' rooms. 

**Earned a free juice coupon from Old Orchard Juice rewards program.


** We borrowed several books and a DVD from the library.  Our 4-year old especially loves Jump, Frog, Jump! by Robert Kalan.  We read it together and he has looked through the book several times on his own this week.

**We had a wonderful time at the potluck and talent show night at church.  For the cost of gas, we were able to get out of the house for a while and enjoy time with our church family.  I brought chocolate-dipped chocolate chip cookies since I had all the ingredients on hand. 

**I wasn't planning on buying meat this week, but I like to scan the meat department just in case I see a good deal.  I found some hamburger that was close to the expiration date with a $2.50 coupon.  The original price was $2.99/lb., but I paid a little over $2/lb. with the coupon.  I divided it up into 1/2 lb. sections and put it right in the freezer when we got home.

**Each week the children at my son's school are rewarded for good behavior by choosing something from the treasure box.  This week I was thrilled (and my son was too) when he brought home a silly straw--something that both of the boys have been asking for!

0 comments :