Recipe: Chocolate-Dipped Chocolate Chip Heart Cookies


My husband loves chocolate chip cookies and I thought it would be fun to surprise him with chocolate chip Valentine cookies. 

This shortbread-like dough works well in place of traditional chocolate chip cookie dough which is too soft to make shaped cookies. 


Chocolate-Dipped Chocolate Chip Heart Cookies

Makes: approx. 4 dozen 2" cookies
Make ahead: Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg yolk
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup (12 oz.) mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips (optional)
1 tbs. shortening

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Beat butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla extract and salt until creamy.  Beat in egg yolk and gradually add flour.  Stir in 1 cup of mini chocolate chips. 

2.  Divide dough in half, cover and chill for at least 1 hour.  If the dough is too hard for rolling and crumbly after chilling, work it in your hands until softened and smooth.


 
3.  Put half of dough between two sheets of waxed paper and roll out to 1/4- inch thickness.  Cut out hearts with a cookie cutter and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Repeat with remaining dough.

4.  Bake for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown.  After the cookies have cooled on the baking sheets, move to wire racks to cool completely.

Tip:  For soft cookies, watch the cookies carefully while they are baking and remove them from the oven as soon as the tops are set and the bottoms turn light golden brown.


 
5.  In a microwave safe bowl, melt milk chocolate chips (or remaining mini chips) and 1 tbs. of shortening in the microwave for 1 minute.  Stir and continue to heat at 10 second intervals if needed until chocolate is smooth. 
 
6.  Dip one half of cookie in the chocolate and scrape the bottom of the cookie across the edge of the bowl to remove the excess chocolate.  Place cookies on wax paper until chocolate has hardened.





Adapted from Very Best Baking
Sharing with these parties


You might also like: Heart-Shaped Red Velvet Whoopie Pies

17 comments :

Brenda said...

So darling & delicious!! Thanks for sharing! ... Have a lovely Valentine's Day :)

Brenda
ChattingOverChocolate.blogspot.com

Shannon said...

These are really cute! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing:)

Lauren said...

These are adorable! How could you go wrong with chocolate chip cookies, chocolate, and hearts? I'd love it if you'd link up at this week's Off the Hook!

Jennifer Dawn Oliver Shelton said...

These look delicious! I'd love for you to stop by my weekly link party and link this up. http://thelifeofjenniferdawn.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-little-bird-told-me-link-party-29.html

Anita Stafford said...

So adorable! I love this dressed up version of chocolate chip cookies, and I'm inspired to try dipping some for my boys today!

Rebecca @ Herons Crafts said...

These are so cute! I love the idea of shaping them into hearts AND dipping them in chocolate! I made heart-shaped brownies dipped in chocolate yesterday - made the perfect V-day post! Hope you husband likes them :)

Vanessa said...

My husband and children both enjoyed the cookies and I might have had a few myself. :) My husband also loves brownies (anything chocolate actually) so I will have to try those brownies!

Chrissy said...

These are adorable!! My boys love chocolate chip cookies! I have some pink Wilton chips, I may dip mine in that tonight! I would love to have you share this and any other projects that you may have over at my new Pinterest Power Party!

http://www.thetaylor-house.com/2013/02/14/pinterest-power-party-7.html

Thanks!!
Chrissy

Cheryl said...

Hopping over from All Our Days Finished Fridays. Yumm--these cookies look so good! Even though it's past St. Valentine's Day, I think my family would enjoy them as a special snack this weekend, so I'll be whipping some up. Thank you for the great recipe and idea!

Cheryl
CreativeGiftGiver.com

Vanessa said...

Cheryl - I hope your family enjoys them as much as we did!

Gretchen said...

Now, see, you wouldn't think it would be possible to improve on chocolate chip cookies...but dipping them in chocolate just might do the trick!

Janine LaTulippe said...

How fun is that!? I didn't know you could roll out Chocolate chip cookie dough. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

Vanessa said...

Gretchen - I think my husband would agree with you! :)

Vanessa said...

Janine - Instead of a traditional chocolate chip cookie dough, this dough is more like a shortbread-type dough with chocolate chips mixed in.

Lisa said...

Those look delicious! I might have to try making some! :)

Lisa said...

Coming over to visit from Addicted to Recipes. These look absolutely delicious! Please stop by and link them up with my "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I'd love to have you join us. :-) http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2013/02/try-new-recipe-tuesday-february-19.html

Anonymous said...

Won raves using this recipe for acorn cookies, dipping the "cap" in melted chocolate! One person loved them, but "wouldn't want to fuss" - great fun sharing how simple they are. TIP - as soon as I made the dough, halved it & rolled between pieces of parchment paper, chilled, then cut out the shapes.