Simply Saving Saturday


 

It's often hard to see the tangible savings from the simple things I do every day to save money and I sometimes find myself discouraged with my efforts. Writing down all those little things I do in order to live more frugally has helped me to see that all those little things actually can make a big difference!

 
 Here's how I was able to simply save this week:

--Made ham and bean soup with the ham bone from the $.99/lb. ham we bought the week of Christmas.  I used chicken stock from the freezer and made a few substitutions (used one small can of tomato sauce instead of vegetable juice) in order to use things I already had on hand and make the recipe a little less expensive to make--this was delicious!

--We decided to use a gift card that we got for Christmas to stock up on meat.  This week I bought two $.99/lb whole chickens and put them in the freezer.  I can't wait to replenish my supply of chicken stock since I used most of it to make the ham and bean soup.

--Made whole wheat tortillas for the first time!  Discovered that I need to practice with this recipe a little more.

--Made homemade instant oatmeal packets for breakfasts.

--Went to the bread store and discovered that they have changed their prices.  On Fridays and Saturdays everything in the whole store is 5 for $5.  I was able to get  100% whole wheat, no high fructose corn syrup bread for just $1 each!  Had to take a chicken out of the freezer in order to put the bread in.

--This week I started grocery shopping with cash in an effort to reduce our grocery budget.  I am hoping this will help me be able to keep better track of how much we are spending and also give me an incentive to only buy things that we need.  I think handing over cash instead of swiping a debit card will be a big motivator!

--Received four Airborne samples in the mail this week.


What did you do to simply save this week?

0 comments :