Frugal Living: Recognizing The Little Things



It's been several years since I started shopping with coupons, but one thing I am learning is that couponing is just one way to live frugally.

Frugal living is actually a lifestyle--it's all the little things we do every day in order to save money and live frugally. Have you ever wondered if all those little things actually make a difference?  Are you feeling discouraged about living frugally? 

I was recently inspired by The Prudent Homemaker to make a list of all the little ways that we save money during the week.  This week start looking for small ways to save money and write down all the little things that you are able to do that save you money.  You might find that all those little things add up to big savings!


Here are the simple ways that I was able to save money this week:


--Now that we have colder weather, we set the thermostat to 62 degrees at night and 66 degrees during the day. 

--I bought an extra turkey while they were on sale this week ($.49/lb.).

--I made turkey stock from our Thanksgiving turkey and plan to make several meals with the leftovers.  And thanks to those leftovers, I only spent $30 on groceries this week!

--I made homemade Elderberry Syrup.

--I made my own bread crumbs by using the bread end-slices that I keep in the freezer.

--I used the leftover canned pumpkin that I had in the fridge to make a double batch of pumpkin pancakes.  I didn't have to buy cereal this week since we ate these for breakfast for several days.

--Thanks to an online Black Friday deal, I was able to order 3 bottles of laundry detergent for free with free shipping.

--I started crocheting angry birds for Christmas gifts for my children with yarn I already had and using a free pattern that I found on the internet. (Angry birds are a big deal at our house this year!)

--I bought fabric on sale for $1.50/yd. to make super hero capes for the boys for Christmas.  I'm going to use this free tutorial.

--We made a masking tape town and a tent under the table for some free rainy day fun.



Do you think frugality is a lifestyle?  What do you do to live frugally?






Come back every Saturday for Simply Saving Saturday where I share simple ways I am able to save each week.


Linking to:
Thrifty Thursday

{photo credit}

6 comments :

Anna @ Feminine Adventures said...

What great ideas! I also make my own bread crumbs with leftover crusts though I'm not that much of a crafter.

I did find old pillows at garage sales this summer, wash them and reuse the pillow form to make pillows for the kids' beds. They love them extra since I actually took the time to make them.

Thanks so much for sharing your list at Thrifty Thursday!

Vanessa said...

I love your pillow idea! Pinterest has really helped me in the crafty and creative department. :)

Anna @ Feminine Adventures said...

Thanks Vanessa! I just wanted to let you know I'm featuring your post at this week's Thrifty Thursday link-up.

Kristen said...

The Prudent Homemaker inspired me, too, to start thinking of all the little things that I do to save money. Today, I'm eating leftovers and listening to audio books from the library.

Vanessa M. said...

I love reading Brandy's frugal accomplishments post every week! She has also inspired me to start a garden this year.

The library is a wonderful resource for our family as well. I can't begin to add up all the money we have saved there!

Ruth said...

These are great ideas - living frugally is definitely a lifestyle and not one trip to the grocery store. It is good to recognize the little things we do each day, week, and month to help save us money! Thanks for linking up with me! :)