Organize & Declutter 2012: The Toys - Part II

My husband and I got lots of helpful advice while I was pregnant with our first child, but no one warned us about all the stuff that came with welcoming a new little person into our lives.

And then we were blessed with a second child and suddenly everything doubled.  Every year there were two birthdays and twice as many gifts at Christmas.  Our home that seemed so big before we had children, was now bursting at the seams.  So I was thrilled when grandpa built a toy box and gave it to the boys.

Finally a solution to the toy problem!  I thought. 

So we filled that toy box with toys until we couldn't even close the top.  And while the boys looked for their favorite toys in the box {of course they were the ones on the bottom}, more and more toys ended up on the living room floor until we were wading ankle-deep in toys.  Every. Single. Day.  And it was making. me. crazy.  This was not the solution I was hoping for.

To get the toys organized, I started by taking all the toys out of the toy box, throwing away broken toys and organizing all the teeny, tiny toys into individual bins




To organize the larger toys in the toy box, I used fabric storage containers that I found at the dollar store.  The Easter buckets that were given to the boys to hunt for Easter eggs worked perfectly for organizing balls and all the play tools.

To be honest the toy box doesn't always look this neat.  Toys aren't always put back in the right container and occasionally I will find a favorite stuffy or other toy that doesn't belong, but it is much more manageable than it was.  And I don't stress if it gets a little messy during the day, because we are now able to close the top!




There are many great ideas on Pinterest for organizing all those stuffed animals.  Storing them in a small laundry basket and keeping them in a closet is working really well for us.  




One of the best gifts that the boys get are puzzles--I love them because most of them don't require batteries!  But, oh my goodness, all those pieces!  They were everywhere--in the bottom of the toy box, in baskets, behind furniture--I was constantly trying to keep all the pieces together.  I finally realized that they needed to have their very own storage container. 

Now when our children ask to play with the puzzles, I grab the container off the shelf and when they are done playing, everything goes back in the container and is put back on the shelf. 


What are your favorite tips for organizing toys?


{If you missed Part I, you can read it here.}


3 comments :

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Looks so good! I remember those days!

Vanessa said...

I'm so thankful to have it all organized! It definitely makes my home feel more peaceful.

Six Sisters said...

Thanks for linking up with us on "Strut Your Stuff Saturday!" We hope to see you next week! -The Sisters