Summer Favorites: Cheddar Broccoli Salad



I love summer salads. 

I'm not talking about the leafy, green, good-for-you salads.  No, sir.  I'm talking about salads smothered in mayonnaise dressings with ingredients like bacon and cheese and pasta and potatoes.  You know--the salads that you find at barbecues and potlucks that contain enough calories for a whole meal. 

If you like broccoli, you will love this broccoli salad with cheddar cheese, bacon and raisins.  And with a vegetable as the main ingredient, you can have that second helping with very little guilt. 



Cheddar Broccoli Salad

Makes: approx. 6 servings {1/2 cup servings}

4 1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
6-8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 - 1 tsp. grated onion {to taste}
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tbs. vinegar
2 tbs. sugar

1.  In a bowl, combine broccoli, cheese, bacon and raisins.
2.  In a separate bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, onion, vinegar and sugar.
3.  Pour dressing over broccoli mixture and toss to coat.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Toss before serving.


Source: Adapted from allrecipes.com


9 comments :

Walking on Sunshine... said...

I like these kinds of salads also! Enjoy!

Vanessa said...

I always look forward to them, but I'm thinking it might be a good thing that we have short summers where I'm from. :)

Jill @Two Yellow Birds Decor said...

This is one on my favorite salads. I haven't had it forever. I am totally going to use your recipe! Sounds yummy!! Thanks so much for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
Jill

Vanessa said...

Oh yes, you will have to make this salad at least once...no summer is complete without it! :)

Michelles Tasty Creations said...

Looks delicious! Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I can't wait to see what you link up next week. Have a wonderful weekend.

Michelle

Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

I love any kind of broccoli salad and with cheese...yes please! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

Laura {a spoonful of joy} said...

this sounds perfect for a summer bbq!

Vanessa said...

This salad does make a really nice side dish for a BBQ and it's very easy to put together. Thanks for visiting!

carissa at lowercase letters said...

this salad is my very favorite kind. so so good! i have a craving now! : )