Organize and Declutter 2012: The Toys - Part I

When I was growing up, all our toys were hidden away in our bedrooms.  So when I was first introduced to the concept of a playroom as a childless twenty-something year old, I laughed to myself and thought, "A room just for toys?"

I am not laughing now.

With two children of my own, I now understand the benefits of a room just for toys.  We have very generous friends and family who have been especially generous with toys, and over the years the toys have multiplied out of control and have taken over our home.  Unfortunately for me, a playroom just isn't possible.


After reading "What To Do When A Gift Becomes Clutter" and taking this advice to heart, I began by decluttering the toys.  Broken toys went right into the trash, while the neglected toys went into the giveaway or the yard sale boxes.


After a quick trip to the dollar store and printing some free labels that I found online, I was ready to get organized:



I printed these sweet little labels from Organizing Homelife.  Aren't they adorable?
Oh, and did I mention they are FREE?




I cut out thin cardboard that I had been saving {you could use cereal boxes} to the size of the labels and used a glue runner to attach the labels to the cardboard.  I'm hoping that the cardboard will help them last a little longer.  The labels could also be laminated.




I used some old photo splits from my scrapbooking stash to attach the labels to the bins.








The bins fit perfectly on these shelves in our younger son's closet. 


{Read Part II here}

18 comments :

Anonymous said...

Hello!

I totally understand the toy take over. I love your cute labels and the red bins. It's so friendly looking!

I also store my son's toys in his closet. We had to go vertical because the closet is so narrow. I wound up buying itso cubes at Target and stacking them.

Nice work!

~Heidi

Vanessa said...

I've been thinking about buying some kind of shelving system for the closets in the boys' rooms. There is so much vertical space that is being wasted! Thanks for the tip about the cubes at Target...I'll have to check into that!

Jenn said...

This post was so good in that it makes me motivated to go through the kids' toys yet again. We have an organizing system but I'm not sure it's working the best, so I need to do some thinking! Love those cute labels!

Vanessa said...

Hi Jenn! It does sometimes take a few tries to get a good system going. So far these bins are working really well for all the small toys. The bins are the perfect size for my little guys. They can easily take the whole bin off the shelf and put it back after they are done playing. Of course that's how it's suppose to work...it doesn't always happen exactly like that. :)

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Great idea! Enjoy your weekend!

Meredith said...

Great ideas! Love the red :)
Meredith
www.waittilyourfathergetshome.com

Jill @Two Yellow Birds Decor said...

What a great way to organize! I need to do this with my kids toys! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Thursday's Temptation.
Jill

pinkoddy said...

Great idea. I do have places for things but no labels. I remember at Playgroup my youngest would go round pulling them all off . I might try this now he's older though.

Six Sisters said...

These are so cute! We are so glad you joined our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". We love to see all of the great recipes and ideas!! Thanks and we hope to see you again next week! -The Sisters

Hubba said...

Wow I like your organization. Thanks for sharing.
http://iheartpears.blogspot.com

Susan Godfrey said...

such great ideas! Our big toy mess comes from Legos and I see some ideas in here that I can use to help organize!

I would love it if you would share this post on the Creative @ Home Wednesday Link-Up! I really think my readers will enjoy it!

http://susangodfrey.com/category/home-family/creative-home/

Blessings!
Susan Godfrey
Finding Beauty - http://www.susangodfrey.com

Recipes We Love said...

My kids have a playroom and the toys are still taking over our house!!! We are planning on a massive yardsale soon. Last fall I remember wanting to cry because there were just toys everywhere and felt like our kids were learning to love things too much. We are blessed to have lots of family that love our children but Christmas time and birthdays are unreal, I mean as in cars full of toys and clothes being bought. We did a total overhaul with shelves in a storage room, organized and put away. At Christmas if we had something similar already we put it back to gift to a friend or to give to kids at the children's hospital. Now this year our goal is to weed a lot of the younger toys out now that our daughter is a little older and son has new interest.

Vanessa said...

I can definitely relate to feeling overwhelmed by it all. We are also planning a yard sale for this summer. Right now half of our basement is filled with outgrown clothes and toys just waiting to go to families that can use them!

Anna @ Feminine Adventures said...

I loved that post on toy clutter too!

Love your organization system. So cute that I'm sure it makes the kids enjoy cleaning up. :)

Thanks for sharing at Thrifty Thursday!

Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

Pinning this Vanessa! I think my bins would have the same labels - LOL! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

Ginny @ OrganizingHomelife.com said...

Vanessa, you made my day! I thought those labels looked familiar. :D So happy to see how well they worked for you!! Great job on your toy organization, too! I'm sharing your link on Facebook. :) Have a wonderful week!

Vanessa said...

Hi, Ginny! I fell in love with your labels the minute I saw them and was thrilled when I found the red bins at the dollar store. They go so well together! Thanks for visiting and sharing. :)

Ginny @ OrganizingHomelife.com said...

Thanks, Vanessa! You are so sweet. They really do look great with those bins. I'm glad you found them useful. :D Just wanted to let you know that I featured you this week at Simply Sensational Tuesday. Thanks for linking up!

http://www.organizinghomelife.com/archives/3377