Summer Favorites: Old-Fashioned Frozen Cheesecake



I love summer.  Warm, sunny days, lazy days at the beach, family get-togethers....and the food!  Even with a fresh coating of snow on the ground, I can't help but think about hot dogs on the grill, pasta salads and cool desserts.  Over the next several weeks I plan to share some of our favorite summer recipes.

This frozen cheesecake recipe was given to my grandma by a missionary who was visiting.  It was a favorite of mine growing up and now I enjoy making this cool and refreshing dessert for my own family.

Old-Fashioned Frozen Cheesecake

Make ahead: Needs to freeze for at least 8 hours.

Crust:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
30 graham cracker squares, crushed
    or 2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

Filling:
1 pkg. (3 oz.) lemon jello
1 cup sugar
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
3 tbs. lemon juice
1 can evaporated milk

1.  Make jello according to package directions.  Chill until it starts to thicken (approx. 1 hour).  While jello thickens, put evaporated milk and mixing bowl in the refrigerator to chill.




2.  Make the crust: In a small bowl mix graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and melted butter.  With your hands {I use a back of a measuring cup}press 3/4 of the mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 pan.  Set the remaining graham cracker mixture aside.





 3.  Beat cream cheese, lemon juice and sugar together.  Add jello and beat on medium speed until well combined.






4. In a mixer with whisk attachment or hand mixer, beat evaporated milk in chilled bowl until light and fluffy.  











{It should look something like this.}













5.  Add cream cheese/jello mixture to whipped milk and mix on low just until combined.  Slowly pour into pan and sprinkle reserved crust on top.  Freeze for 8 hours or overnight.






This cheesecake is delicious plain:



Or make it extra-special with some blueberry sauce on top:




Note: This recipe is impossible to ruin {believe me, I have tried!}.  If for some reason the jello doesn't thicken or the milk doesn't whip up well, it will still make a delicious cheesecake with a slightly heavier consistency.

20 comments :

Walking on Sunshine... said...

So delicious looking! And I love the added blueberries!

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

Yum! I love any type of cheesecake.. but this looks divine!

Winnie said...

Mouth-watering cheesecake!
It looks really good, and I wish I could have a slice now

Shiloh said...

This looks so very very yummy! It looks really cool and refreshing, just perfect for summer.

Deana said...

What a great recipe I'd like to invite you to share this@CountryMommaCooks Link & Greet party Friday@6 pm ct-Sunday midnight…have a wonderful weekend!

cupsbykim said...

This cheesecake looks so tasty!! I'd love for you to share it at my link party!!

http://cupsbykim.blogspot.com/2012/03/sweet-simple-sunday-3.html

Little Mommy Kim said...

Looks so good!

Shoregirl said...

This looks WONDERFUL!!! Definitely bookmarking this recipe!

Gail Purath said...

My mom used to make something similar to this...sweet memories. Thanks for sharing.

Our Delightful Home said...

You make it look so easy :) I have never tried making homemade cheesecake before. I am truly inspired now. I would love for you to link up at my linky party via: www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com to share this awesome recipe with my readers.

Mrs. Delightful
www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Six Sisters said...

This looks delicious! We loved having you join us for "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Hope to see you again soon! -The Sisters

Addicted to Recipes said...

I can't wait for summer! Your recipe looks tasty. Thanks so much for sharing at Scrumptious Sunday!

Addicted to Recipes
http://iamaddictedtorecipes.blogspot.com

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

It looks divine! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

Deana said...

Thanks for linking up @CountryMommaCooks…..hope to see you again tonight and have a wonderful weekend:)

Wendy said...

YUM! This sounds tasty. I would love to have you link up to Sugar Me Up this (and every) weekend. http://everydaymomcakes.com/sugar-me-up-4/ And if you ever have a cake or cupcake you want featured feel free to submit it too!

Other recipes can be linked up at Feed Your Soul weekends at Around My Family Table. http://www.aroundmyfamilytable.com/2012/04/feed-your-soul-4/

Wendy

Ginny @ OrganizingHomelife.com said...

Vanessa, thanks for linking up to Simply Sensational Tuesday. You were one of the Top 5 Features! Your cheesecake looks amazing!

Sarah E. said...

Stopping by from Mix It Up Monday - it looks super delicious. I still have yet to try a cheesecake with blueberry sauce and I need to! :) Pinned to share!

Michelle @ Michelles Tasty Creations said...

Two of my favorite things; Cheesecake and lemons, YUM! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to try this out.

Hugs,
Michelle

mr.darcy1 said...

What size can of evaporated milk did you use?

Vanessa said...

It is the bigger can of evaporated milk...I believe it was 12 oz.?