Operation Christmas Child Update #1: The First 3 Shoe Boxes!



One of my projects this year is to pack 10 shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child and I'm so excited to have the first 3 boxes nearly finished. 

Shopping for these shoe boxes has been so much fun!  Not only have I found some amazing deals, but it also gives me an excuse to shop for all those cute little girly things that I don't get to buy with 3 men in the house!

Shoe Box #1:  5 - 9 year old boy




Kid's Crest Toothpaste - free with coupon
Colgate Toothbrush - $.44 with coupon
Soap - free with coupon
Pencils - $.08 [pk. of 12 for $.24 Christmas clearance]
Cars Stickers - $.50 clearance
Knit Hat - $.25 Seasonal clearance
Cars Pez Candy - $.75 Christmas clearance
Stationery Set - $.59 Valentine's clearance
Sticker Set - $.25 Christmas clearance
Water Bottle - free by mail
Bouncy Balls - $.30 [pk. of 10 for $.56 Christmas clearance]
Candy - $.16 [pk. of 12 for $.50 Valentine's clearance]
Comb - $.06 [pk. of 12 for $.69]
Maze Games - $.06 [pk. of 3 for $.20 Valentine's clearance]

Total spent so far: $3.44


Shoe Box #2 and #3:  2 - 4 year old girls



Kid's Crest Toothpaste - free with coupon
Toothbrush - $.88 with coupon
Comb - $.06 [pk. of 12 for $.69]
Soap - free with coupon
Stuffed Bear - $.75
Sippy Cup - $.59 Christmas clearance
Knit Hat - $.50 Seasonal clearance
Maze Games - $.06 [pk. of 3 for $.20 Valentine's clearance]
Stamps - $.24 [pk. of 10 for $.56 Christmas clearance]
Pencils - $.08 [pk. of 12 for $.24 Christmas clearance]
Pencil Sharpener - $.08 [pk. of 12 from dollar store]
Marker Set - $1.00
Play Dough - $.12 [pk. of 8 from dollar store]
Hair Clips - $.86 clearance

Total spent so far: $5.22 x 2


There are a few more things that I would like to add to these boxes, but I think I can easily stay under my $10-per-box budget.  I am hoping to find t-shirts and flip flops during summer seasonal sales and crayons and paper during the back-to-school sales. I am also on the look-out for some great deals on washcloths, socks and toys and games.

7 comments :

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

What a great idea! And its awesome that your staying on your budget!

Vanessa said...

I love this organization and I'm so thankful to be able to give in this small way!

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

I do this with my class each year, I teach 4th grade. You're way ahead of me, except I have saved a few shoe boxes...

Vanessa said...

Ellen, I think it's wonderful that you've gotten your class involved. It's such a wonderful way to teach children about giving!

Primrose said...

Oh, I was really excited to come across this post on your blog tonight! I'm on the other end of the OCC shoeboxes every year, having the absolute privilege of handing out thousands of boxes to children in our part of the Balkans, so thank you, thank you, thank you - t's great to see boxes being "filled" and filled with good quality things. If you are encouraging others to join you in doing this, encourage them to send boxes for 10-14 year old boys - there's always a shortfall for this age. Keep it the great work :)

Vanessa said...

Thank you for your comment and for sharing the need for boxes for 10-14 year old boys. I will definitely plan to do some boxes for them. If you have any suggestions on what to pack for that age group, I would love to hear any ideas that you have!