Recipe: Healthy{er} Chocolate Chip Cookies

Healthy desserts seem to be a growing trend.  You will find many ideas on Pinterest and the popular food blog Chocolate-Covered Katie.  I went way out of my food comfort zone and tried Katie's German Chocolate Fudge Bites this week. 

I had no idea that dates could taste so good!  And even more surprising?  Both of my children ate them.


This week I also tried these healthy chocolate chip cookies made with.... 


 Bananas!

I wasn't completely sold on these cookies at first.  I mean, really.  How could a cookie with no sugar taste good?  The texture is slightly different from "normal" chocolate chip cookies, but they passed the kid test with flying colors - even our pickiest eater ate them.  

If you're not sure that your family will try these, offer them a cookie for breakfast - I'm sure that will get their attention!


Healthy{er} Chocolate Chip Cookies

Makes: approx. 2 dozen

1 1/2 cups regular rolled oats
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup mixed nuts, finely chopped {optional}
1/2 cup chocolate chips
3 ripe bananas
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract






1.  Mix the dry ingredients together.  Tip: if you don't have allspice on hand, you can make your own allspice by adding 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1/8 tsp. nutmeg and 1/8 tsp. cloves.












2.  In a separate bowl, mash the bananas and add oil and vanilla.  Add to the dry ingredients and mix well.











3.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  I didn't have parchment paper, but aluminum foil and cooking spray work well too. 

Drop dough by heaping tablespoon onto prepared pan and use your hands to form into a cookie {you can also use a cookie cutter}.









4.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.  Cool completely.  Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.










To make shaped cookies:



Spoon the dough into a cookie cutter and gently press down with a spoon.






Source: Adapted from No Sugar Oat Drops from Blueberry Girl



Pin It



Featured at: Tasteastic Thursday!

22 comments :

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

Holy cow! No sugar?! They look great! Im pinning these so I can try them soon. Love chocolate :)

Week of Giveaways!

Vanessa said...

I know! I couldn't believe it either. Our boys didn't even notice the lack of sugar. The bananas and chocolate chips seem to add just enough sweetness.

To make these even healthier, I might try replacing the oil with unsweetened applesauce. I love experimenting!

Let me know if your family likes them!

Lisa said...

I've made these before and they're pretty good! A lot easier to eat a bunch when they're "healthy" :)

Vanessa said...

Lisa, it is definitely a snack that I don't feel guilty about eating or giving to my children. :)

Justine said...

Stopping by from the Financial Friday Link Up! http://queenofsavings.com

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

YUM. I love the combo of the chocolate chips and oatmeal! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

Tim, Allyson, and kids said...

I'm off to pin these. They sound delicious and I love the no added sugar bit. Could I feature one of your photos in my Weekend Links with credit to you and a link back to your recipe?

Jill @Two Yellow Birds Decor said...

Those sound really yummy!! I have never heard of putting bananas in chocolate chip cookies. I am going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
Jill

Good Girl Gone Green said...

These sound very yummy!

Karyn Tripp said...

These sound great! Thanks so much for linking them up this week. I definitely want to try these...

Paula said...

Seriously, these are going on my MUST try list! They look fantastic! We'd really like for you to link these at our party! http://housewivesofriverton.blogspot.com/2012/03/recipe-round-up-8.html

Cherished Handmade Treasures said...

These look delicious! New follower from the Things that make you say Mmm...hop. I co-host the Creative Corner Hop every Monday. Feel free to stop by and link up. It will be open all week.

Sandy
Cherished Handmade Treasures

Chatty Chics said...

Wow! I think they sound really good! I need to give up sugar altogether so this would be a great option as I LOVE chocolate chip cookies! :)Thanks for linking up!
Melody

Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

I like the addition of bananas. They look delicious! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

Amy Anderson said...

Thanks for linking up at A Little Nosh. You're featured this week! (I'd love a link back if you don't mind) http://www.alittlenosh.net/2012/03/tastetastic-thursday-322.html

Six Sisters said...

So nice! Thanks for coming to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you'll be back next week! -The Sisters

Pam said...

Just wondering if thats unsweetened coconut?

Jill @Two Yellow Birds Decor said...

I know I have commented on this before, but I just wanted to let you know I am featuring your yummy cookies at today's link party!!

http://twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com/2012/03/thursdays-temptation-link-party-10.html
Jill

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

These look delicious and I love the healthier ingredients. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

Vanessa said...

Pam - I used sweetened coconut.

lindsay said...

have you tried yet using applesauce? i'm curious to know how they turn out!

Vanessa said...

Lindsay - I haven't had a chance to try the applesauce yet. If you do try the applesauce, let me know how it turns out!