Football Cookies And A Lesson In Patience




Since I had some experience with royal icing, I thought this project would be fairly simple.  Besides, I have been stalking faithfully reading cookie blogs and they make it look. so. easy.  Who knew that it is actually a very precise art?

First of all, you have to bake the perfect sugar cookie.  Not too brown, not too hard and perfectly smooth.  After two attempts at this basic sugar cookie recipe, I still have not mastered the perfect sugar cookie.

And then there's the icing.  It is fairly easy to mix up, the problems all started with the coloring.  I started by making the gray and I thought adding a little black would make gray, right?  It actually makes a purplish gray, but add a little green and it magically becomes gray {Google to the rescue}.  And the red.  I used so much red gel that I don't even think it's edible.  I did manage to get a very pretty shade of pink.

Thinning the icing is also a lesson in patience.  Too thin and it runs right off the cookie; too thick and you won't even be able to get it on the cookie.

But decorating the cookies took the most patience.  There is a certain process to cookie decorating that requires letting the icing dry a bit in between each color.  

Note:  Don't get impatient and touch cookies that look dry:


I tend to like to start and finish a project all in one sitting, but for someone as inexperienced as I am, cookie decorating can become an all day project. Or make that two days.

So two batches of cookies and two days later, I ended up with five cookies that were deemed photo-worthy that I don't dare eat because of the enormous amounts of food coloring that were added.

If you need to practice patience, just make cookies.




If you would like to see the experts in action, I recommend:

15 comments :

Walking on Sunshine... said...

I think the cookies turned out beautiful!!! And that fingerprint is so something I would do! Enjoy your day!

Vanessa said...

Thank you! They certainly didn't turn out how I expected, but I did learn a lot for next time. :)

Jill @Two Yellow Birds Decor said...

Those cookies are amazing!! WOW! Great Job. Thanks for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
Jill

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

I didnt realize that it was that hard to decorate cookies! They do make it look so. easy. Ill have to remember to have tons of patience when I make some for my daughters birthday this month!

Thanks for linking up to my Friday parrr-tay!

Vanessa said...

Kelley, I think I had so much trouble because I had to mix colors in order to get the colors I wanted and I didn't have any experience with that. If you have easy colors that you don't have to mix, I don't think you will have any trouble at all {except for red..I would avoid it at all costs :)}.

I also used 20-second icing for the first time. With 20-second icing you don't have to outline, but I think outlining and using flood icing to fill in the outlines would have actually been much faster.

Good luck with your cookies. I hope you share them at The Grant Life so I can see how they turned out!

Drama queens mum (Kimberly) said...

Those look great. Go Patriots.

Deana said...

How cute....I'd love for you to share this @CountryMommaCooks Link & Greet party going on now-Sunday midnight…

Jenny Melrose said...

I think you did a great job. I recently took the dive into royal frostin for my daughter's 2nd birthday, which you can check here at www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2011/12/rileys-2nd-birthday.html As far as for the sugar cookies I cheat and use the box from Pillsbury (saves time and they taste great). Thanks for sharing!

Vanessa said...

You did a wonderful job on the Minnie Mouse cookies...and the cake! That must have been a lot of work. Just one question...how did you get the black royal icing? I haven't been able to get a nice black or red yet.

Thanks for the tip about the Pillsbury cookie mix. I think I'm going to try making sour cream sugar cookies next time and see how that goes.

Deana said...

Thanks so much for linking up to CountryMommaCooks Link & Greet Party!
Hope to see you next Saturday……Have a blessed week:)

bonniegetchell said...

I think they turned out really cute! Found you via Tater Tots and Jello :)

-Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
http://bonniegetchell.blogspot.com

MiaB said...

These look great!!! You did a great job :) Thanks for sharing this with us at Sharing Saturday

~MiaB
www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

They look terrific! I have yet to try anything so intricate and I'm afraid I just don't have the patience :( I need to get motivated! Thanks for sharing!

AnickH said...

u say u still haven't mastered the perfect sugar cookie, but i think that your sugar cookies look perfect. i love all your pictures and the way they turned out!!! i also use sugar belles recipe for sugar cookies. i use it about 50 percent of the time and then other times i use bridgettes (bakeat350) bridgettts cookies, for me, hold their shape better but i think that sugar belles cookies taste better and hold their shape good enough (especially compared to most other recipes)

Vanessa said...

Thanks for sharing. I will have to try that other recipe sometime!