Organize and Declutter 2012: Broom Closet Organization - Before And After

You know how they say a picture is worth a thousand words?  There was only one word that came to mind when I saw this picture....



Yikes! 


I started this project by clearing off the top shelf and found this:


We won't need any cat treats for a while.  A long while.

Not only do you find things you forgot you had, organizing also makes you look at things more closely than you normally would when you are in a hurry to get things done.  And looking closely at my broom and mop made me realize that they needed to be replaced right away.

And after a little more organizing and decluttering, here's the results:


The DIY cereal box magazine holder holds all our instruction manuals and  I found a plastic storage container in the kitchen that wasn't being used, and it was a perfect solution for storing the cat food. 

I love it when I can repurpose things that I already have!

Can you see the textured walls in the first picture?  Textured walls + cleaning = no fun.  I was able to get some of the stains off the wall using a Dawn and hydrogen peroxide solution and a toothbrush.

But the most exciting part about getting this closet organized is....



I now have a place to hide the vacuum cleaner!

4 comments :

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Love organizing as well! Looks good!

Vanessa said...

Thanks! It feels so good to get rid of all that clutter and get organized.

Cheryl said...

Great ideas! I'm following along with you to see your ideas. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

http://myfrugalfamily-cheryl.blogspot.com/

Wendy Sice said...

Brilliant! I plan to re-do my laundry soon, so that I have a hidey hole like this for the vac. I can't wait!! xx