Living With Purpose In 2012 - Goals For The New Year

The last 5 years have been a blur of diaper changes, doctor's appointments, and dreaming of a good night's sleep.  My main goal was to get the day-to-day housework done and get through the day without any major disasters.

Now that the boys are older {and I'm getting a little more sleep!}, I am ready to start setting goals and living this coming year with purpose.


Here are a few things that I would like to accomplish in 2012:

1.  Daily Bible Reading
January - Dwelling In His Presence: 30 Days of Intimacy With God
New NIV Women's Devotional Bible
Note: Amazon is offering the Kindle edition of Dwelling In His Presence for FREE.  Read this post to find out how to download Kindle ebooks to your computer or mobile device.

2.  Spending More One-On-One Time With My Children
Our oldest son started school this year, and as the boys get older, I'm realizing more and more that it is important to have a good relationship with my children and make sure they know how cherished and loved they are.  I feel strongly that this is a major factor in preventing children from caving in to peer pressure and negative influences.  One of the ways I'm going to work on this is finding ways to have one-on-one time with each of the boys at least twice a month.

3.  Organize and Declutter Our Home
I'm talking about a major overhaul.  Somehow in all the busyness of the last 5 years, our home has fallen into chaos.  With the help of Pinterest, Organizing Junkie, I Heart Organizing, and my new BHG gift subscription, I'm hoping to get back on track in 2012!  To keep me motivated, I plan to write about my progress throughout the year and also share some of my favorite simple and frugal organizing projects.

4.  Pack Ten Operation Christmas Child Boxes
We packed two OCC boxes at the last minute this year.  In 2012 my goal is to pack at least 10 shoeboxes by intentionally looking for items all year that can be used in the shoeboxes and also looking for ways to earn the extra money for the shipping cost.  A great resource that I will be using often is Clip With Purpose.

5.  Books To Read In 2012
My husband and I are both avid readers, and we usually make several trips to the library each month to look for a good book to read.  I have also borrowed books from the church library and a few of these books were downloaded for free from Amazon.  I'm sure I will be adding more books to this list throughout the year, but here is a short list of books I'm hoping to finish in 2012:
Grace Based Parenting {finishing this up}
Lies Women Believe And The Truth That Sets Them Free
The Power Of A Positive Woman
Calm My Anxious Heart
Choosing To See
Don't Make Me Come Up There!
Michal: A Novel 

Do you have any New Year's goals?  What do you have planned for 2012?  Get started with these free customizable goal planning worksheets from Money Saving Mom.

6 comments :

Lisa said...

The last 4 years have been a blur for me too! Your New Year's resolutions are great...many of them things on my list too! By the way I wanted to let you know I awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award! You can check it out here The Versatile Blogger Award

Happy New Year!

Lisa
Criss-Cross Applesauce

Vanessa said...

Thanks, Lisa. What a great way to start the New Year! Wishing you and your family all the best in the new year!

Renee's Joy Journey said...

Vanessa,

Thanks for linking-up your goal list to the Party in Paris. I was inspired by your "on purpose" goals, especially the one on purposely finding quality time with your children. When you're old and looking back over your life, you'll never regret every second and every hug and every time you gave a listening ear or played a game (you didn't really want to... but then it was fun anyway)...

Love and blessings in 2012,
Renee-joyjourney.com

SJB AKA SUE J-B. said...

Follow you @ GFC & FB via Party in Paris on Friday

http://www.sjb-myphotopage.com/

ABC and 123: A Learning Cooperative said...

What a fantastic list of goals for 2012. I noticed you are reading Grace Based Parenting. I just finished reading the book Give Them Grace - similar concept - I LOVED it. It is probably the first book that has truly changed the way I think about parenting.
Have a wonderful year Vanessa!

Vanessa said...

I have really enjoyed reading Grace Based Parenting. It has definitely changed my perspective on parenting!