Create With Kids: Craft Stick Ornaments





Our 5-year old had great time making these craft stick ornaments.  We used colored craft sticks that I found on sale at Rite Aid a few years ago, but regular craft sticks could also be used. 







What you need:

craft sticks
craft glue, white glue and glue gun
ribbon or yarn
glitter
buttons
craft jewels
puffy paint


To make the Christmas tree ornament you will also need:
foam star stickers
brown felt or construction paper






1.  For snowflake ornaments: glue three craft sticks in a criss-cross pattern using craft glue; let dry.






2.  Decorate!  Our son loves glitter; most of our ornaments got a good sprinkle of it and a few even had more than one color. {The Elmer's glue pen worked perfectly for covering the craft sticks with glue!}








3.  For Christmas tree ornaments:  glue craft sticks together in a triangle; let dry.









4.  Stick a foam star sticker on the top and glue a 1-inch piece of felt or construction paper along the bottom; let dry and decorate.






I used a hot glue gun to glue yarn onto the back of the ornaments for a hanger:



Pin It

12 comments :

Jaime said...

great craft for the kiddos, thanks!

We Can Do All Things said...

Great project! I love the trees.

babies, toddlers, and preschoolers, oh my! said...

i love this idea and will hopefully be doing it with my daycare soon!!

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

Super cute ornament - I love that they are simple & still super cute! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! See you next week,
Beth =-)

Vanessa said...

I think the trees are my favorite, too. I love having homemade ornaments for the tree and the memories that we made while we made them.

andthatsfamily said...

I love these and was thinking of making them myself! I wouldn't have thought to use glitter!

Chrissy said...

This is such a great idea!! I am going to try this with my kids this weekend!! Thanks! I'm a new follower!! :)

Vanessa said...

Thanks, Chrissy. I hope you and your family enjoy this project as much as we did. Have a great weekend!

Lindsi B said...

Super fun and easy craft to do with the kids! Would you please share this with our readers for our Fun Stuff Fridays linky party? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2011/12/fun-stuff-fridays-3.html

Lindsay said...

These turned out so pretty!! We have plans to make some very similar soon! Stopping by from TGIF :)

Trish@MomOnTimeout said...

I love using craft sticks - perfect for kids projects. Your ornaments turned out so cute! Thanks so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday. Can't wait to see what you've been up to this week :)

Camille said...

My kids are going to LOVE this! Thanks for sharing such a great idea that I can do with them! Thanks so much for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday! We hope that you will join us tomorrow!
Camille @
SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com